On Monday 14 July 2003 12:18, Lars Holmström wrote:
> Some other file systems (like GFS) requires specific hardware as far
> as I understand (iSCSI or FC) and most of the Clustered file systems
> simply share the storage, usually SCSI and would sometimes be
> somewhat limited.
>
> My experience comes from OpenVMS clustering and If courier would be
> available on VMS it would have been my choice. But I may think that a
> VMS Cluster providing a NFS share, two or more Courier boxes that
> mount the NFS disk and a loadsharing device similar to LSNAT
> (RFC2391) and VRRP will do the job.
>
> The benefit with my concept would be that there are no kernel
> modifications and that the synchronisation may run over existing
> networks, and even slower lines that 10 Mbps, depending on
> application load.

Thats close to how we did ours, although we did it w/ IPVS load
balancing, and currently it's just a raided box for the mail store, no
redundancy above that.

IPVS doesn't require any kernel modifications per se, nor any software
reconfigurations.  Just place a load balancer between the real world
and your real servers.

--
Jesse Keating RHCE MCSE
http://geek.j2solutions.net