Ok. This is what I had to do in order to get past the authentication fialure errors. I modified /etc/courier/esmtpd, setting:

ESMTPAUTH="PLAIN"

On both the client (knee.xtime.com)and server (mail.buberel.org) hosts. I then restarted courier on each host. Testing using 'sendmail' from the command line on the client machine:

# sendmail [EMAIL PROTECTED]
From: jason
To: jason
Subject: test

Test
[Ctrl-D]

Resulted in the following entry in the server log file:

Dec 25 10:22:18 taylor courieresmtpd: started,ip=[::ffff:192.168.0.102]
Dec 25 10:22:18 taylor courieresmtpd: error,relay=::ffff:192.168.0.102,from=<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>: 517 Syntax error.

Other inbound messages (from other remote mail servers) continued to be delivered successfully. I finally figured out that the server didn't like the name being used by the client to identify the sender ('[EMAIL PROTECTED]'). The only way I figured this out was to set /SECURITY=NONE in esmtproutes on the client and using ethereal to sniff traffic between the two hosts.

So I modified /etc/courier/me on the client and added 'xtime.com' to the file, restarted courier, and now all traffic is being successfully forwarded from client to server, and uses a secure connection to do it (after removing the /SECURITY=NONE flag from esmtproutes). I verified the security of the connection using ethereal:

220 mail.buberel.org ESMTP
EHLO xtime.com
250-mail.buberel.org Ok.
250-AUTH PLAIN
250-AUTH=PLAIN X-NETSCAPE-HAS-BUGS
250-STARTTLS
250-XVERP=Courier
250-XEXDATA
250-XSECURITY=NONE,STARTTLS
250-PIPELINING
250-8BITMIME
250-SIZE
250 DSN
STARTTLS
220 Ok
[lots of scrambled text]

Yeah!! No passwords being sent in the clear, and forwarded mail uses authentication and encryption, allowing me to roam among ISPs and still send outbound SMTP messages.

Thanks Sam,

-jason

Jason Buberel writes:

> I suspect this has something to do with the client (knee.xtime.com) trying > to use CRAM-MD5 with a server that uses authpam as it's authentication Correct.

> backend. Even if I change the 'esmtpd' configuration on the server to:
> > ESMTPAUTH="PLAIN"
> > The authentication fails with the same error as before, indicating that > the client (knee.xtime.com) is still trying to use CRAM-MD5 passwords.

You must restart the server so that its configuration gets reread.