Mark Bucciarelli wrote:
> [taking off list, as I think I have borked my setup.]

No, unfortunately this is a general issue with IO::InnerFile.  See below.

> Julian Mehnle wrote:
> > Try 0.11 as soon as it appears
> > on CPAN (which should be within the next few hours).
>
> That got me futher, but I'm still having some trouble.
>
> Jan 24 08:27:48 dev courierfilter: Starting pureperlfilter
> Jan 24 08:28:08 dev courieresmtpd: started,ip=[::ffff: ...]
> Jan 24 08:28:09 dev courierfilter: Courier::Filter::Module::ClamAVd:
> MIME::Parser: can't seek: Bad file descriptor at
>   /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.4/MIME/Parser.pm line 790, <GEN3> line 38.
> Jan 24 08:28:09 dev courierfilter: Rejected message sent from <[EMAIL
> PROTECTED]> to <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> through::ffff: ... (host-...)
> Jan 24 08:28:09 dev courierfilter: Reason: Mail filters temporarily
> unavailable.
>
> Running install Courier::Filter completes cleanly in CPAN.

The problem is that IO::InnerFile, which is used by MIME::Parser, does not
return true on success.  Old versions of MIME::Parser (up to 5.413) did
not care about that.

(
  Detailed explanation:

  The MIME-tools and IO-stringy packages were initially written and
  maintained by the same author who now has not been maintaining his CPAN
  packages for over three years.  MIME-tools has since been taken over by
  a new maintainer, and starting with version 5.414, MIME::Parser checks
  the result of the seek() call and thus always fails when working with
  IO::InnerFile.

  I filed a bug report on IO::InnerFile[1] a while ago, but nothing has
  happened so far.  I am trying to resolve the issue with MIME-tools' new
  maintainer and IO-stringy's current maintainer.
)

Now what all this essentially means is that either a version of
MIME-tools/MIME::Parser <= 5.413 must be installed on the system, or the
installed version of IO::InnerFile must be patched manually until a fixed
version is officially available.  You can get the patch here[2].