On Jan 28, 2008 10:03 AM, Peter Burden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello,
>      A user has left and our central authentication (MS ADO via PAM/LDAP)
> his disabled his login
> so he cannot collect any incoming e-mail, however until they cancel
> (rather than
> disable) the account, the e-mail address is still valid. The accounts on
> the Linux
> system simply track those on MS ADO via scripts using LDAP etc.,.,
>     Is there a simple way a current account can be made inoperative so
> that mail
> to the account receives a no-such user response.
>     [I'm also thinking about the possibility of a disgruntled former
> employee indulging
> in a quiet spot of mail bombing.]

If you're requiring SMTP authentication (and you should be) then he
shouldn't  be able to send email from his old address, the account should
only be able to receive mail (since incoming SMTP only checks for an
accounts existence, it doesn't try to authenticate).  If you want to
completely disable the account you'll need to modify whatever attribute
Courier does email lookups against.  Normally in LDAP this is the mail
attribute so part of your account disable proces could be to change the ldap
mail attribute to blank or disabled or whatever.

Jay

--
Jay Lee
Network / Systems Administrator