Gordon Messmer wrote:
> Alessandro Vesely wrote:
>> I'd use mysql_real_escape_string(), if available. See
>> http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=10214
>
> No, you should never use any escape function on user input if it can be
> helped.  Prepared statements are the most convenient, fastest, and most
> secure way to make queries that include user input:
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/c-api-prepared-statements.html

Indeed, to use prepared statements would be itself a good reason to review
that code. It was added in MySQL 4.1.2, the auth code still has a conditional
part for older MySQL versions. Should I assume we should continue supporting
them, and use that statement only for recent versions?

> I can barely make out what's going on in the mysql auth driver, but it
> doesn't look like Sam's work.

Perhaps he doesn't use MySQL.

I can start working on that patch next week, as soon as I get back home.