On 09/19/2010 07:52 PM, Ben Kennedy wrote:
> I'm using authmysql for everything (it facilitates ease of management
> and transparency compared to litering hidden dot-files around the
> filesystem).  The DB is of course replicated between both hosts.  As
> such, the valid account tables and inbound filtering rules should be the
> same on both.

Do both hosts list the same domains in "locals", then?

> I suppose that in the absence of hosteddomains, though, no validation or
> filtering is being done beyond the domain-part.

Addresses are validated if the domain is listed in hosteddomains or
locals, otherwise the system will disregard your user database.  You
don't want that.  Doubly so if you haven't turned off backscatter
suppression.  Backscatter suppression does not mix well with a domain
listed only in esmtpacceptmailfor.

>> The alias file should direct all valid addresses to your primary MX.
>
> What do you mean by this?  Are you alluding to esmtproutes?

No. I run a lot of Courier servers which only filter mail and then pass
the message on to a system we don't want exposed to the internet
(Exchange).  Alias normally look something like:

us...@example.com: us...@exchange.example.com

"example.com" would be listed in esmtpacceptmailfor and hosteddomains.
This allows the mail filter to validate recipient addresses.

>> Your primary MX should also be configured to accept all mail from your
>> backup, without any kind of filtering.  Apply the same protection to
>> your backup MX that you do to your primary, and don't double-filter.
>
> That should be the case, or at least, so has been my intention.  On the
> primary, I have the an entry in smtpaccess for the secondary with
> "allow,RELAYCLIENT"... but will that in and of itself suppress any filtering?

No, it won't.  I don't know if you can configure Courier::Filter not to
filter messages from your backup MX.  Maybe someone else on the list
will chime in...