Lindsay Haisley writes:

On Mon, 2016-07-25 at 06:22 -0400, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> new/cur split was meant to be merely a means to identify messages that were   > seen for the very first time. Nothing more than the means to notify the user
> "you have X new messages". This is not the same thing as how many unread
> messages there are. Messages in cur may still be unread.

Sam, I made one further small change to the Wikipedia paragraph on
maildirs, which now states:

"When a maildir reading process (either a POP or IMAP server, or a mail
user agent acting locally) finds messages in the new directory it
_must_ move them to cur ... etc."

I did a bit of research on the term "mail retrieval agent" and it
doesn't look as if this is an apt description of a POP or IMAP daemon,
so I changed the wording to be more specific.

Is this technically correct, and is "must" appropriate?

I agree, this is technically correct.