Alessandro Vesely writes:

On Tue 07/Mar/2017 03:43:45 +0100 Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Download: http://www.courier-mta.org/download.html#unicode
>
> This is a test build of the courier-unicode package, that uses C++11's unicode
> support. Please report any build issues to the courier-users list.

Yes, it works, but I had to manually set CXXFLAGS="-std=c++11". That could be
avoided by using AX_CXX_COMPILE_STDCXX in configure.  I found no m4 dir, so I
added it and saved there the file I found in:
https://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf-archive/ax_cxx_compile_stdcxx.html

I attach other minor changes.  I didn't test it on a "difficult" system.  I
guess that if 'optional' works as advertised, the behavior won't get worse.

Ok, but C++11 is mandatory now, that's the whole point. Looks like this macro tries both -std=c++11 and -std=c++0x, which is what's needed; however looks like the macro executes a fairly extensive check for C++11 coverage, while all that's needed here is unicode string support.

I've added this macro and prepared the 20150307 build. Can someone try courier-unicode-20150307 to see if it builds by default with gcc 4.4.