Markus Wanner writes:

Hello Sam,

I'm about to take over maintenance of the courier-mta packages in
Debian, so I'll likely have further questions.

Let's start with a simple one regarding courier-authlib:

Compared to 0.66.4, these three symbols have vanished from
libcourierauthcommon.so.0 in version 0.67.0:

 * auth_parse_chpass_clause@Base 0.66.4
 * auth_parse_select_clause@Base 0.66.4
 * authgetconfig@Base 0.66.4

What happened to them?

Removing symbols is certain to be backwards-incompatible, but the
library's soversion didn't change. If the authlib is intended to be
backwards-incompatible, mind to incement the soversion?

In addition, these methods were added:

> (c++)"courier::auth::config_file::expand_string(std::__cxx11::basic_string<char,

libcourierauthcommon is not solely an externally-linked library. It's also linked to by other .so-s in the package. These symbols correspond to internal APIs.

Do all of these really need to be visible?

Yes. Other modules in the library need them. The libraries could be refactored so that the internal APIs are placed into a separate, non- versioned .so