On 06/07/2017 04:32 AM, Alessandro Vesely wrote:
Last time I issued courierfilter stop, and then start.
However, that way I have to reload also clamav databases, which takes a long
time.  Is there any better way to upgrade the running Python process?

That should only be the case if you were running pyclamav, which is no longer available or supported. The supported means of using clamav is to run an instance of clamd as the courier user, and use pyclamd to scan messages. In that configuration, you should be able to "filterctl stop pythonfilter/start pythonfilter" without significant delays.

BTW, in order to tell distributed filter from home-brewed ones, I install sym
links in the dist-package/pythonfilter directory, which point to the source
file.  I note that Python does not produce any .pyc in that case.

That's true, but that only means that python will take slightly longer to parse those files when they're imported. Since that only happens on startup, it's hard to make the case that producing pyc files will significantly impact performance at all.

Since the pyc is what should get loaded when loading a module, an idea could be
to reload modules if they have been recompiled since the last time they were
loaded.  Let me attach the idea.  Beware: I did'n run it, not even once, and
didn't fully understand the caveats about using reload(), see e.g.:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/437589/how-do-i-unload-reload-a-python-module#answer-438845

pythonfilter uses threads in order to allow modules to keep statistics in memory. As far as I can tell, reloading isn't going to be safe.

One more question, about virtualenv.  Has anyone had experience loading
Pythonfilter that way under Courier?  Another possibility is to install
Pythonfilter globally, but keep additional packages in a virtualenv, just to
ease tracking requirements.

I haven't, personally.