Hello,

I'm struggling with the question if it is possible to authenticate
clients (optionally) with a client certificate. I found some docs about
dovecot implementing this [1] and was wondering if courier (SMTP) could
also be used with this?

I could not find something about it in the docs.

The desired use would be that we operate a local CA and issue
certificates that contain a user name (e-mail-address) as common name
and courier authenticates this certificate as the given user, so that
logging and processing will continue have the sender's data.

[1]: "Client certificate verification/authentication", half way down at
https://wiki.dovecot.org/SSL/DovecotConfiguration

regards,
Bernd