Hi,

I'm one of the core developers for the BioPerl project.

We've had a persistent problem with users grabbing outdated versions of our distributions from CPAN. For example, the distribution bioperl-1.4.tar.gz is deprecated and is on backpan, as seen here:

    http://backpan.perl.org/authors/id/B/BI/BIRNEY/

and yet in a search for bioperl through the cpan command-line interface, bioperl-1.4.tar.gz turns up almost at the top of the list:

cpan[2]> i /bioperl/
Bundle    Bundle::BioPerl        (CRAFFI/Bundle-BioPerl-2.1.8.tar.gz)
Distribution    BIRNEY/bioperl-1.4.tar.gz
Distribution    BIRNEY/bioperl-db-0.1.tar.gz
[..snip..]
16 items found

Is there a way to prevent our old distributions from appearing in CPAN search results?

It would be fine, for example, if they were removed from CPAN and BackPAN completely (we have them archived elsewhere).

Thanks for any guidance,
Dave