On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 8:27 PM, Slaven Rezic <sre...@cpan.org> wrote:
> David Golden wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 7:51 AM, David Golden <xda...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> 21. Formalize optional_features
>>>
>>> Proposal:
>>>
>>> Optional features: is supported in META.yml, but it requires a lot of
>>> manual intervention and trickery to make it work. And it is very poorly
>>> documented. (Tux)
>>
>> I'm for doing something, either formalizing or removing.  I think it's
>> a mess as currently exists.
>>
>> It would be nice to allow "Do you want to add support for blah?"
>> questions during install rather than a list of scads of modules to
>> install, but that could all be done in *.PL as dynamic configuration.
>> I don't see why the bundles really need to be listed in META.
>
> Because that's the only way to do automatic installation of optional
> features possible, in a standardized way. Currently I may say that I want
> the feature "fulltext_search" for Tk::Pod via a distropref file.
> Theoretically I could also list the required dependencies for fulltext
> search in the distropref file, but what if some day Tk::Pod's fulltext
> feature is implemented using other modules?
>
> I vote for formalization.

I don't know the history of this, but - risking that I'll add
something already covered - I would propose that if optional features
are to be formalized - then they should be allowed to appear in
'require_*'.  Otherwise optional features lead to much chaos with
packages relying on them but not being able to specify that.

Cheers,
Zbigniew Lukasiak
http://brudnopis.blogspot.com/
http://perlalchemy.blogspot.com/