On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 1:35 AM, Jens Rehsack <rehs...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 1) compiler cannot create executables
> 2) compiler works, but no perl headers
> 3) compiler does, but shared library building fails (that is fragile and
> minor modifications at the system causes that process to fail)

These three would all fail to make, which would abort installation.

> 4) As you say: https://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=75672

Oooh!  Excellent example.

"make" succeeds and "make test" could fall back to PP when dynaloading fails.

I wonder if there's a way to be clever about this such that under
PUREPERL_ONLY, make never compiles the extension, and then the main
module doesn't just try bootstrap inside eval{} but actually checks to
see if the extension is in @INC. If so, bootstrap it or die; if not,
fall back to pure Perl.

David

--