FWIW I agree with Andreas on every point.

There’s a big difference between

1) “use Foo::XS” will install hooks into the Foo namespace for the XS optimized
implementation of Foo

and

2) “cpam Foo::Bar” will overwrite site_lib/…/Foo.pm

Manipulating namespace in memory seems … Perl-ish (and appropriate-ish; and at
least the signed up for it explicitly in the code).

Having the installer write different things to disk than expected seems
outright dangerous. As Andreas said, the pitfalls are many (too many in my
opinion).

Reliably managing and upgrading Perl installations for production environments
is already plenty complex, I don’t think we should make it worse.

Ask