On Fri, 2 Feb 2018 15:51:32 +0000, Neil Bowers
<neil.bow...@cogendo.com> wrote:

> > For the 5.29.* development cycle starting in May of this year, I would like
> > to be able to use a ranking of CPAN distros which goes beyond asking:
> >
> > * "How many other distributions depend on this one?"
> >
> > ... to asking:
> >
> > * "How many distributions by other authors/maintainers depend on this one?"
> >
> > Would that be feasible?  Has anyone attempted this already?
>
> When we were discussing the River model at QAH, and in discussions
> afterwards, this came up. In the end we decided to keep things simple and go
> with the current common definition. There are some tools in the CPAN
> ecosystem that only count dependencies written by others.
>
> We’d need to agree which dists get ignored in this alternate scheme. Consider
> this example:
>

> Here MARY has released a bunch of dists, but Foo-Bar is also relied
> on by other dists written by MUNGO and MIDGE.
>
> The river count for Foo-Bar would be 2 here (ignoring the whole
> branch that contains only dists from MARY), but the Foo river count
> should be 3, I think. Foo-Bar “counts”, because it in turn is
> depended on by dists from other authors. Otherwise the river count
> would be 2 for both Foo and Foo-Bar. Basically we’re starting at the
> “bottom" of the dependency graph, and trimming sub-graphs all from
> one author.

> Also consider this example:
>
> What’s the river count of Plant — 0, 1, or 3? I think it should be 1,
> in this alternate measure.

1 or 3: 1 if module chains from the same author are "compressed" to 1,
3 if not

More interesting would be

 Thing - Plant - Fruit - Banana - Silver Banana - Distasteful stuff
 JOHN    PAUL    RINGO   RINGO    RINGO           GEORGE

would plant now be 1, 2, or 4?

> I.e. for sub-graphs by the same author, you only include the dist at
> the head of the sub-graph.

I'd suggest to have an option to squeeze any unbranched chain of
modules from the same author to 1

> It would be useful to have both measures available: raw-river and
> author-river.
>
> When looking at a dist there are (at least) three figures that might
> be of interest: the full river count (total number of direct and
> indirect dependencies), the author-filtered river count (as above),
> and the number of direct dependencies (which could be split in 2 as
> well).
>
> Neil

using perl5.00307 .. 5.27   porting perl5 on HP-UX, AIX, and openSUSE