Dear all,

Gram Vaani released the first version of GRINS (Gramin Radio Inter Networking System) a few months back. It is being piloted at Radio Bundelkhand in partnership with DA, and has been running well since almost two months now. The current version supports playout and scheduling of radio programs, simulation of a live transmission, archiving of any speech made on the mic, logging, backup, and an extensive content management system for searching and categorizing audio programs.

The installation instructions and software are available online, free of cost. Interested CR stations are most welcome to download and use the software. Given our limited bandwidth, we can also offer detailed setup and help to a few stations, but we need you to fill out this short questionnaire included below. Please email your answers to cont...@gramvaani.org so that we can understand more about your setup.

We are continuously adding more features to GRINS, the next upcoming one being support for telephony, followed by Internet connectivity for uploading and sharing content with other stations. So this is really the right time to start using GRINS for running your radio station.

More details about installation and usage of GRINS: http://www.gramvaani.org/docs/
A demo video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xO9xzPLZb1E

For open source enthusiasts, we will release the code shortly. GRINS has been designed in a generic service oriented manner, making it easy for developers to build new and exciting applications on it. The design documentation is available online too: http://www.gramvaani.org/docs/software.html

regards
Aaditeshwar

----------------

Please email the answers to cont...@gramvaani.org <mailto:cont...@gramvaani.org>

1. Contact address of the radio station (location, email, phone number)

  2. Contact address of the parent non-profit (location, email, phone
     number)

  3. For how many hours per day does the station broadcast?

  4. How many staff members are present at the station? What roles do
     they play? (manager, technical, journalist, radio jockey)

  5. How is the content for broadcast obtained? (produced locally,
     obtained from some NGO, etc)

  6. Is a computer used for broadcast? How many computers are available?

  7. What software is used for broadcasting?

  8. How are audio files managed? How are they stored? Is there any
     special software used for searching and storing information about
     the files?

  9. Is there a LAN set up at the station?

 10. How many hours of power supply does the location get? Does the
     station have power backup facility?

 11. Is there a phone line at the station? Cellphone connectivity?

 12. Is there an Internet connection available at the station?