There is little value to allocating finer and finer 'bands' to particular
'uses' of radio. It displays the utter paucity of both knowledge and
imagination that permeates the 'license-raj' attitude of government servants
who imagine that some ethereal dispensation has given them powers not thought
of in the Constitution (in the person of the Supreme Court circa 1995).

Let's get principles straight: the band around 100MHz is a short range medium
for the purposes of either analogue or digital broadcasting (with the impending
advent of DAB, it becomes necessary to mention this at the outset). No matter
how much energy you pump in at the point of broadcast, your signal is just not
going to get very far, and that is plain and simple physics (I am aware that
some legislatures in the USA have ruled otherwise, one getting perilously close
to defining the value of pi as 3, but fortunately no Indian legislative body
has gone so far as to attempt to define physics by vote). From the perspective
of the nation, there is no value at all to further subdividing the band.

However, when one gets to the level of a single broadcasting area, which may be
as high as a circle of radius of 50 km or so (the definition applies to
reliable and robust broadcasting, stray signals can go much farther depending
on atmospheric conditions, but that can't be the basis for allocation), power
does matter, or crudely, size matters. A megawatt transmitter will drown out
signals from less powerful transmitters, in some cases even at completely
different frequencies, the same way a loudmouth politician can silence the
voice of reason. For this reason, radio engineers have long advocated that
physical areas dominated by powerful signal transmitters should be treated
different from other areas.

For very basic economical reasons, such powerful transmitters are usually found
in cities, because the audience that will purportedly pay for the station to
keep operating, by marching into stores and buying products and services heard
advertised on the radio is substantial enough in a city. In rural areas, such
economics don't work. The crunch comes for low-cost (typically, community)
stations in less rural areas, where a powerful commercial station may yet be
operating, especially in the outer reaches of major cities, where new satellite
urban communities are emerging. This is where some amount of sensitivity is
needed on the part of a regulator, but I have not heard of our regulator
displaying any such sensitivity as yet. Indeed, the overall situation is being
treated in such an atrocious manner that there is no need for sensitivity,
which suits some people just fine.

There is a very good reason to take the examples of foreign radio paradigms
with a pinch of salt - very few such nations have cities of the scale and
sprawl of the great (I use the word advisedly) cities of the emerging world.
Obviously, we have to work out our own equations with the realities of FM
technology, but as one who has suffered from the idiocy of ivory-tower thinking
(ten years down the line, regulation is still controlled directly from Delhi,
as though information flow from rural to urban India is already meaningful), I
think I am justified in saying that such thinking has yet to raise its pretty
little head.

We may well want to advocate such sensibility in the case of urban community
stations, but how many of them would pass the radio equivalent of a Turing test
in India?

Vickram
http://communicall.wordpress.com
http://vvcrishna.wordpress.com