On 2021-08-01 05:15, Nicolas Weeger wrote:
I wonder if instead of setting custom values for items & monsters on maps, it
wouldn't be better to create artifacts (with a 0 chance of being generated)
and use it in maps.

The rationale I can see is that it makes it much easier to balance items/
monsters (since artifacts will give all available items/monsters, instead of
needing to check all maps for custom items).

It'll also allow changing items the players possess (which is not currently
possible with custom items).

What do you think?

One limitation though is that artifacts can only have names in the form "item
of artifact", whereas custom items/monsters can have any custom name.
I think both the naming restriction and the added complexity of making custom items in maps makes this a bad idea.  For major end-of-dungeon loot items, I can see it making sense, but not as a general requirement.