Bartek Palmowski [2008-05-23 09:07]:
> Johannes Winkelmann wrote:
> />/So you'd end up with a package you can't reproduce after the 'work' is
> >removed, because you didn't make patches from your changes. Seems like a
> >major step back, and nothing that should be actively encouraged.
>
> Pkgfile is the only "interface" to interact with building process,
> whats the point of doing all changes to Pkgfile then rebuild,
> do changes again, then rebuild again (note that source package gets
> extracted every time that happens. Lets look at the situation when
> maintainer 'A' tries to build some port, he needs to perform some "surgery"
> on the Makefile, to do that in usual method he needs to think of a sed lines
> or make a patch, put in on the Pkgfile, and then perform build only to notice
> that he made i.e stupid mistake. With the pkgmk -b feature he could do it
> quikly,
> and by _memorizing_ (im talking about minor changes) apply those modifications
> to Pkgfile, which would speed port developing process and make it easier.

I wonder whether we can protect ourselves from releasing a port that
only worked because we messed with the srcdir directly :)
maybe we could make pkgmk _not_ create the final package if -b is used,
so you just get to see whether the build succeeded, but you'll only get
a package if you do _not_ use -b.

Regards,
Tilman