Lucas Hazel [2008-06-18 12:35]:
> On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 18:27:37 +0200
> Tilman Sauerbeck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Hannes Mayer [2008-06-17 16:20]:
> >
> > Hi Hannes,
> >
> > > A pure 64Bit version or 32 and 64 multilib?
> > > The first will be very easy. I working with my crux 64bit Version
> > > since over one year. I have only 30 new / different ports.
> > > Just get them if you like. http://ecarux.de/crux86_64/
> >
> > At the moment it looks like we'll be getting started with an updated
> > version of your ISO, i.e. a pure 64 bit system.
> >
> > I don't know yet whether a multilib system would be better[tm]; we'll
> > have to make up our minds later on this one :)
> >

> Sure pure64 has it's advantages in that it's a single library set, but
> there are a number of sacrifices you have to be willing to make in
> terms of applications that are 32 bit only. Of course flash and
> acroread come to mind. But there's also proprietary media codecs, you
> can also say goodbye to wine, and any games out there you might like to
> play. Until recently there was no java plugin for 64 bit browsers
> as well. However I just discovered that RedHat is developing one in
> OpenJDK.

True... I still need to finish Doom3, and I probably don't want to wait
until it's GPLd :|

> Personally I feel rather than targeting a specific alternative
> platform, we should be coming up with a solution for any number of
> systems. We have had people targeting other systems other than amd64
> such as a port to openbsd and even versions for the PPC and ARM
> processor.
>
> While I'll be the first to agree that my multiarch solution is probably
> not the best, however, it has allowed me to keep in sync with the
> official crux repos with relative ease as it makes changes required of
> me to make minimal, git merges are always conflict free aswell.
>
> I have a set of 110 ports that require compat32 and or x86_64 changes
> across core/opt/xorg/contrib. Most of time I will only need to edit
> these is when there is a change to the build script otherwise it's just
> a matter of fetch/merge/push.
>
> Again, I think a more holistic approach should be taken if CRUX
> officially decided to adopt another platform such as amd64.

We'd like to achieve omg-awesome portability (I care much more about
other architectures than operating systems though). Hopefully the scheme
we have in mind will allow for the needed flexibility.

We have of course looked at your multiarch solution, but found it to be
kind of ugly.

Regards,
Tilman