Hello, Juergen!

CRUX-2.5-test2 seems to work here... even after doing strange
thiongs like this:

I am looking for a way to install CRUX from an already
booted foreign linux system without the necessity to boot
from the CRUX CD.

Sometimes I cannot access the console (hosted machine), there
is no CDROM-drive (netbook) and no quick way to boot from
a CRUX USB without building one manually.

Currently, I mount the .iso, unsquashfs crux.squashfs, copy /cdrom/crux
to the unpacked squashfs, chroot into it and run setup from there.
Well, everything seems to work fine... the only thing which I need
to install manually is unsquashfs from squashfs-tools.

1) Does it make sense to include unsquashfs with the CRUX CD?

Hmm, not sure what you mean. A squashfs package on the iso or the unsquashfs as part of the binaries available after booting the iso?

I think I need unsquashfs as part of the binaries available after booting
the iso. It would be also possible to unpack the squashfs-tools package
when it's included on the CD but that would need an additional step.

In both cases it dosn't solve your problem IMO, because you either need unsuashfs to access the iso, or a running crux system to install the package. Or do I miss something?

Propably. :-)

Goal: No need to boot from CDROM, no need to access the console,
minimum downtime.
Assumption: A system always has a spare partition for a version of CRUX.
Usually, two small partitions w/ <10G each for / are sufficient for
alternating installations.

That's roughly what I did (out of my head) to minimize downtime
of the running system:

- download iso.
$ mount -o loop crux-2.5.iso /mnt/iso
$ unsquashfs /mnt/iso/crux.squashfs
$ mkdir squashfs/cdrom
$ cp -a /mnt/iso/crux squashfs/cdrom
- chroot into squashfs
$ setup
- mkfs.ext3 to some spare partition
- install to some spare partition
- configure crux and compile kernel (or copy from existing system)
- configure bootloader (usually lilo or grub)
- install custom stuff from existing system.
- cross fingers and reboot :-)

If everything works fine, a full system update is done with the downtime of one
reboot. :-)
If something goes wrong, a reboot to the old system is possible.
It's possible to configure lilo as well as grub to do da failsafe-fallback
in case one system doesn't work.

Using kexec could shorten the downtime even more... well that's
a task for the advanced lection. ;-)

Good question, but don't think so. Would you mind writing a short
guide in our wiki, please?

Yes, once there is a working solution for the common CRUX user.

Regards,

Clemens