On 11-06-05 19:54, Juergen Daubert wrote:
 1) hwdb

 This is enabled by default, but de-facto depends on usbutils
 (usb.ids) and pciutils (pci.ids). Which is prefectly fine, apart
 from /usr mounts. Nothing anywhere close to important here judging
 from egrep, but there're a few rules that set few things depending
 on the contents of those files.

 There're a few options I can see here:

 1) check+mount in initramfs (btw, with few simple alterations to rc,
 dracut can serve as pretty much perfect initramfs for CRUX)

 2) "we don't support separate /usr" - well, it's an option ...

That's a bit overstated, because udev still works even if it cannot
find {pci,usb}.ids ;)

Certainly :)

Though in coming times it will probably be harder and harder to keep stuff clean off /usr ... whenever one considers Lennart a madman or a visionary (or anything in between or not), he has a point:

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/separate-usr-is-broken

(this is not really related to systemd, but got lot attention in this context; when i read it for the first time a while ago my initial reaction was "blasphemy!" too, but after cooling down a bit - the issues raised are nonetheless valid)

In barebone setup, 78-sound-card.rules (so alsa) sets some udev environment vars based on ids, though how important that really is (purely descriptive, or actually functional at some point) - hard for me to say.

OTOH, I was wondering - simple global re-trigger after all the fscks & mounts are done would likely fix most (all ?) potential problems (even if it's arguably ugly approach). That means, initial coldplug limited to certain subsystems (block, net), then fsck+mount, then full coldplug guaranteeing needed stuff is (or should be) in place. That could be good idea actually.

 3) disable hwdb ...

 4) point udev to different places for usb.ids (since 171) and
 pci.ids, and adjust respective packages to additionally copy *.ids
 files to some place under / (/lib/hwdb ? etc.). To make it flexible,
 simple patches to shell scripts used to update those files would be
 necessary as well (update_pciids, update_usbids.sh).

I've no strong optinion yet, but would be fine with 4) or even 3).
I didn't disabled it with the latest udev updates because it dosn't
hurt anything.

I didn't really mean #3 as real option. #4 sounds indeed pretty good (and pretty trivial along the way). Regardless of 2-pass coldplug mentioned above.

as always we try to keep the core collection small. The reason why we
moved dm to core was simply lilo, which links against libdevmapper if
installed. Without that libdevmapper would still reside in opt.

Ah got it. I use syslinux exclusively these days for everything - so kinda missed that detail.

At all I'm maintaining lvm in opt only because someone has to do it.
Patches or better a voluneer are more than welcome ...

Well, I could maintain few things. In context of 2.8 there're few other changes I have roughly in mind:

- mtab symlink
- /run
- in core: syslinux, dracut, gdisk (eventually parted), pam, socat (eventually netcat)
- a few changes to rc scripts

Nothing revolutionary or complex, but pushing standard install a little bit forward.

 - in context of lvm/dm/md/udev - do we really need static builds
 (and random patches making that still possible) ?

the idea behind that is to have static builds of all progs that might
be needed for a boot-system via initrd available. Don't know if this
is still important for someone, probably not really.

Tough to say, though it certainly simplifies life when going quick DIY way.

Anyway, I'll prep some patches - small things for 2.7, some bigger ones for 2.8 - easier to discuss when changes are actually visible.