Cryptography-Digest Digest #478, Volume #12      Fri, 18 Aug 00 16:13:00 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Not really random numbers (Anthony Stephen Szopa)
  Re: Looking for a DES or RSA chip with write-only key. (Benjamin Goldberg)

From: Anthony Stephen Szopa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Not really random numbers
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 12:38:15 -0700

James Felling wrote:

> [...]
> > generation of the random numbers on a stand alone machine (assuming)
> > in a secure location.  (We could go on endlessly on how spies or
> > moles can get at your keys, especially if you are as stupid as
> > Security is at Los Alamos.)
> >
> > Let me take one process because one is representative of the others.
> > First of all you need random user input.  It is recommended that you
> > shuffle a deck of cards with 56 cards in it to get four random
> > sequences of the numbers 1 - 14.  Or you can use numbered beans
> > shaken in a bottle and withdrawn one by one for these sequences.
> > Etc.  (see Help Files at http://www.ciphile.com)  These and similar
> > random processes will generate the random user input.
> >
> > This one of several processes, will sequentially divide the
> > 3,628,800 unique ten digit permutations of the digits 0 - 9 (the
> > original encryption data file) into 14 files of 259,200
> > permutations each.
> >
> > The permutations in each of these 14 files will be shuffled together
> > one permutation from each file at a time according to the random 14
> > number user input sequence thus generating a now reordered
> > permutation file of the original 3,628,800 unique permutations.
> >
> > This process can be repeated using another randomly generated 14
> > number sequence any number of times using this particular process
> > or one of several others that are equally inherently unbiased to
> > generate a subsequently reordered encryption data file.
> >
> > There are 3,628,800! (factorial) possible orderings of this
> > encryption data file.  Three thoroughly different ones are used in
> > the current implementation to generate random numbers.  (see Help
> > Files)  Therefore there are (3,628,800!)^3 possible orderings of
> > three such files.
> >
> > The generated random numbers are then further shuffled to generate
> > subsequently reordered random number files, etc.  (see Help Files
> > for exact processes, etc.)
> >
> > The security of OAP-L3 comes from the fact that it does not take
> > very many random user input sequences used in very many of the
> > possible processes to make duplication of the final OTP files of
> > random numbers practicably impossible to duplicate.
> >
> > Furthermore, even if someone were to gain a significant portion of
> > the random numbers generated, it would not be possible to duplicate
> > the unknown random numbers because without the original key of
> > random user input sequences and the processes used and the order
> > in which they were used could anyone determine them since the
> > final OTP random numbers are essentially the product of a one way
> > series of processes with the known random numbers not providing you
> > with sufficient information to generate the original key.
> >
> > All of this is explained in the Help Files.
> >
> > See you all in a month or three.
>
> You really expect brute force versus your method?  There is an extensive body of
>research into
> permutation theory that you seem ignorant of that could be used to attack your

Damn.  I am somewhat addicted.

" ...it is much less efficient than a straight line from A to B...."
This is why OAP-L3 is so secure.  Place any two points anywhere and
there is an infinite number of ways to get from one point to the
other using OAP-L3.  A straight line would make any encryption
much much more insecure.  OAP-L3 takes a minimal amount of effort
to set up but this minor cost is well worth it.  (see below)

"... all of your methods are reversible..."  Taken individually,
each process is certainly reversible but only in the sense that by
trying every possible random user input, you can be sure that at
least one will produce the correct previous state.  In my example,
how can you choose the correct prior state from over 87 billion
possible previous states?  Note that I said that "...since the
final OTP random numbers are essentially the product of a one
way SERIES of processes..."  Now, by repeatedly processing each
subsequent state using new random user input how can you get
back to the first original encryption data file?

Figure it out.  Let's say I use 100 processes and you do not know
which ones I've used or in what order, and you do not know the
random user input to each process, theoretically, you could
determine the correct key but here is your minimal task in a nut
shell:  just for starters, there will be only one chance in
(87E9)^100 that you are correct.  You must carry out all theses
steps with all your guesses before you can test to see if you are
correct.  If not, try your next guess, and so on.  You have to make
a guess of 100 processes, with 100 sequences of random input,
guess the order of the processes, then run the processes to get
output you can test, AND you have to do this procedure (87E9)^100
times.

Okay, let's assume the person you are targeting is paranoid and uses
encryption keys with a minimum of 1000 processes, then with this
random number output, he or she combines the random number output
from one or more other random number outputs from 1000 process keys
to create the final OTP random number files.

I recommend you not even waste your time trying to crack the
encryption.  Try to steal the key / final OTP random number data
files, or arrest the target and try your powers of persuasion to
get what you want.

"...I do not see any recommendation that would prevent an amateur
user from selecting a weak key..."  There is no restriction on
the security level the user decides to implement.  The user is
given the details as to how strong to make the encryption desired.
This is not a fault of the software but an advantage.  The user can
choose a short key length and thus a less secure key, or a very
long key length and thus a much more secure key.  The user is
given examples as to how to determine the strength of the key
chosen.

"If your keying material is compromised (no matter how much of it
you have) then you must generate new material -- so you cannot have
on "ready to go."  This is really rudimentary stuff.  Let's say I
generate a key using 100 processes.  Then I continue on and proceed
to generate another subsequent key with an additional 100 processes.
And a subsequent key with another 100 processes, and so on.

I initially use the key of 100 processes.  It gets compromised
somehow.  Okay.  I have the 200 process key ready to go.  Lets say
this 200 process key gets compromised somehow.  Okay.  I have my
300 process key ready to go, and so on.

You say that my 200 process key is compromised?  Even if I told you
starting encryption data file I begin the second 100 processes with you
would still have to determine the subsequent 100 processes, etc.

Or let me suggest that your paranoid target, in the final OTP random
number files generation process always combines more than one set of
random numbers.  Now you only know that the random numbers that you have
compromised came from one or more 100 process or more keys.

How in your god's great creation are you ever going to break this
down?  I know:  "I am sure there must be a way."

Have you ever heard of the uncertainty principle?  Some things can
never be known.  Just accept it.

"...that could be used to attack your method with some minimal
knowledge of the key generation process."  A cracker has 100%
knowledge of the processes involved in the software.  He can
have vast quantities of cypher text / plain text pairs.  What the
cracker is assumed not to have is the random user input, knowledge
of what processes are used or what order the processes were used in.

An additional reason I say that even with all this knowledge the
OTP random data files are not compromised is that the nature of
the random number generator is that only about 76% of the random
digits generated are used.  About 24% are discarded.  And these
random digits are discarded at random.  So the random numbers from
0 - 255 that are finally generated and further "shuffled" have lost
too much information for any meaningful analysis to be performed
with the hope of cracking the key.

Thanks again for your consideration.

------------------------------

From: Benjamin Goldberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Looking for a DES or RSA chip with write-only key.
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 19:49:07 GMT

[WARNING: place coffee cup firmly on the table to avoid making mess]

Mark Currie wrote:

> I would not recomend *burning-in* of keys. The Pijnenburg chips -
> PCC101 (DES) & PCC201 (Exponentiator) have write-only key registers
> that (I think) can be retained with a battery after power-down.
[snip]

Surely you don't *really* mean "write-only", do you?