From: John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Random Numbers???
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 1999 22:27:17 -0800

I have been kicking around random # generators.  I have 3 sets of 1000
random #s. Are they? How can you tell? Integers range from 0 through
255 inclusive.

  Set1---Set2---Set3
  113    126    114
  227     80    140
  165    240    210
   24    211    242
  122    139     44
  225    125    146
  104     77    197
  152    194    194
  195    246     35
  124     23    212
  225    121    120
  105     34    169
  112    194     41
  222    100     92
  203    118     65
   97    158    188
   22    188    241
   13    185    140
   51    231     58
   40    254    203
  210    165    205
  215     31    109
  102    110     83
  169    239    172
  205    229    191
  253    253    105
  134    252     27
   21      5    178
  100     16     58
  130      4     97
  250    132    104
  181     78    159
  117     88    242
  179      4     27
  158     65    222
  184     37    108
   97     71     93
  218    253     36
   20     63    222
  254     94     74
   12    198     62
  177    239     36
  169    237    219
   30     89     95
  230    202    252
  213     11    250
  147     68    109
  128    252    230
   68     86     55
  139    115    253
   90    160    104
   66    221     29
    2    111     56
   65     16    236
   89    155     37
  130      4     43
  204     15     47
  241     13    100
  197     60     52
  194    174    182
   77      9    225
    3    229     91
   86     85    251
  133    159    142
   64    188     57
  159     92     12
  203    177     18
  233    152    213
   26    170    115
  132    195    110
  200    175    123
  108    126    225
   52    144     31
   28    228    198
   87     63    245
  187    127     18
  235    138    125
  113    137    107
  144    222    155
   10     69    115
   31    210    233
   99    255    184
  209    122    158
   99     36     55
  155     41    111
  167    206    179
  171    217    146
  176    158     40
  116      2     71
  182     74    237
   89    238     12
   98     95     65
  219    137     96
  184    233    101
  187    159    100
  234    109     63
  234     64     24
   35     61     64
   86     17    159
  177     17     86
   89     21     87
  121      1    136
   44    244    137
   97    143     90
    0    110    241
   23    192    137
  214    110     41
   46     82     30
  224     27     19
   25    134    223
  133     33     95
  119    111    221
  189    232    117
   25    231    128
   91     56     82
   82    234    251
   64    108     83
  182    193     36
  210    192    229
   69     30      7
    0     32    110
  180      7    186
  183     57    241
   11    232    225
  133    125    251
  217    172    166
  141    111     78
   58    165    214
  161     75    242
   52    181     74
  182    147    155
  245     79    152
   85    169    194
  190      2    254
   61    102    141
  217    107    120
  254     83    207
  175     38    159
  239    186    136
  104     99    101
   13    239    112
  102    137     96
   78     99    120
   34    194    151
  205    245    207
  115    141    173
  109    147    197
  230    226     84
   33    177    202
  193     17     30
   33    230    168
  177    254    129
  149    186    174
  102    184     50
  129    170     58
  113     67    192
   35    165     36
  139    101    220
  191    164    184
   85    127    177
  249    198     72
  241    135    198
   62    142    121
   95    211     26
   37    142    227
  144    160    233
  167    161    238
   85    153    218
  114     32     62
  132     88    120
  194    179      9
   94     23     34
  157      0    239
   55    184     16
   40    191    112
  123     70     64
   95     90     55
  233    107    229
   60    244    164
  209     73     86
  156    232    139
   62    107     45
   81     72    164
   81    109     85
   69    201    223
  201     19    183
   44    183     41
  162      8     86
    9    144    143
   60      9     18
   44    126    251
   11     93    169
  137     24    119
  101     65    110
  248    243     90
   50    119     38
  103      0    255
  185    175    220
  107    173    194
    7     68    162
  194     75    212
  140    239    121
  151     48     43
  198    187    228
  147    209    102
  196     49    231
  161      9    138
  162    162     86
  115     97    131
  101     24    176
  153     70     79
   40    103    225
   11    130    222
    3    156     56
  143     86    152
  221     66    184
   23     73     33
   30    109    185
  165     57    133
  255    106      6
    3    128    146
   12    185      1
  137    254    190
   64    164    210
  253     71    131
   85     71    186
  224    193    131
   21    216     89
   40    224    238
   14     47     30
   46      4    150
   82    158    215
  222    202    209
  175     48    123
   75     82     15
  230    161    226
  247    251     13
  125    102    239
   86     47     98
   88    243    164
  113    154    125
    3    122     26
  177    246    103
    7    109     70
    2    107    130
  128    173    106
   96    171    225
  107     62    236
   38      0     97
  157    228     16
  150     34    129
   85     19    186
   55    133    180
  199    118    124
  229    123     93
   45    169    187
  207    183    114
  136    150    120
   72     68     18
   36    160    125
  228     85    105
  253     54    126
   39    178    217
  169    198    141
  187    101    108
  148    234    237
   94    128    129
  107     79    108
  145    155     92
   77    170     95
  226    228     76
   34     34    201
   79     66     18
  164    149    247
  223      2    130
  114     37     94
  211     65    243
  114    195    105
   76    165     20
  229    139    145
  210    216     44
  211    224    212
  237    191    197
  100    220    229
  131     83      8
   10    231    166
  158    252     12
   79    171     63
   49    191    108
  211    144     71
   72    165    109
  100    198    182
   86     83     69
   75     63    230
   46    133    195
  206    197    224
  231     93     20
  236     84     38
   76    111    143
  247    188    163
  219     64    123
  144     87    205
  170    197     68
  146     98    185
  104     58    206
  116     69    212
  163     29      8
  252    148    138
  195    115     35
  183    109     51
  156    214     33
  236     76    194
   72    191     44
   14     35    209
  221    185    238
   24     37    169
  124    211    102
    7     10    134
   87     79     72
  244    199    249
  149     29     93
   11    198    195
  167     36    254
   73    210    185
  139    144    167
  228    233    239
  166    238    152
   92    167    109
   51     52     86
   12     19     65
  103    246    167
  103     13    104
  104     30    146
   91     37     48
  230    179    188
  183    215    204
  116    164    183
   53     70    206
  231    143     72
  148    160    233
   17     46    129
   68    117     12
  216    187     59
   94    223    157
  155     44    189
   54    225    112
   85    108    215
  111    102    152
  133     10    161
   59     96    116
  240     78     66
  146     21     76
   40     84    157
   34     36    111
  181     20     25
  150     72    230
   65    245    225
   51     33    236
   15    252     85
   85    171    236
   10     22    160
   85    208    141
   43    249     83
   43      2     98
   52      0    134
  209    200    247
   61    147    217
   59    213     77
  164    253    217
  166     78      8
  207     20    245
   62    216     90
   55     28    169
  193     99    125
  120    247    156
  152      2     80
  118     59    115
  188    130     67
   17     28    128
  112    181    178
  175    236      8
  222    110     38
   99    178     84
  236     95    210
   72    172    153
  196    210    224
   64     91     67
  215    138     95
  222    157    174
  155    206      4
   17     51    195
  201     49    216
  127    128    229
   26    138    170
   70     46    216
  156    103     11
  172    220     60
  108     30    148
   64      3    149
  241    224    244
   10     49    125
  183     88    241
  248    178    185
  201     29    155
   22    212    143
   10     26    250
   93    113     64
   92    200    113
  139    251     70
  200    110    253
  200    166    102
  234     56    190
   67    187    211
   61    224    181
  226     70    217
  158    251    201
  123     76    193
  192    228    171
  167    153     21
  115     20    115
   18     87    253
  144     13    181
    7     47     56
   36    184    235
   75     67    213
   83    191    150
    8     21    203
  100     47     18
  214    175    249
  209      1     33
   52    137      8
  207    187    130
  114    115     81
   25     55      7
   18    194    114
  130    142     77
  224    125    233
  235    250    109
  248    158    193
   62    254     11
  134    224    215
  208    238    181
  158     75    142
   57     41     78
  234    149    238
  222     38    248
  194    166    222
  208    212      1
   49     20     95
   52    181     79
   31      3     46
  246    208     59
  171    162    137
  158    163     61
   26      9     52
  139     70    199
   79     20     97
  166    134     29
   54     52     58
  214    184    173
  188     45    221
  221     25     33
  195     87    178
   23     35     39
  232    135    111
  145     13    243
  159    169     76
   33      9    248
   60      4    104
  143    146    119
  189    183      0
  143    238    151
   48     25    177
  201    156    180
  243     10    190
  125    133    182
  250    150     30
   54     85      3
   57     74    109
   39     69    221
   91     15     63
  198    150     48
  173     54    171
  120      9    180
  150     21     61
  210     18    202
   17    105     70
  213    228    172
  113    116    153
  183     43    105
  147     84    124
  136     51     64
  164    204     82
  246     83     45
   38     76    195
  181     94     48
   52    223    102
  203      6     60
  200     35    101
  167    248     68
  144    125    170
  243     13    147
  118     25    201
  211     72    163
  244     16     43
  252    157     57
  231    158    125
  253    137     92
  252    133     54
  114    146    250
  119    199    169
  160    215     94
   56    173    251
  109    247     95
  232    230     32
  200    249    240
   80    236    107
   57    144    173
  120     79     64
  139     35    101
   67      7    169
  197     47      4
  219    175     80
   98    219    193
   21    199    176
  152    119      6
   98    152     34
  171    179    102
  247    189     57
   95    212    215
  165    231     89
  208      3    111
  178     61     91
  155    173    115
   20     23     49
  241     32    109
  192    195    209
  112    250    247
  210    104    234
  255    115      6
  188     65    179
  114     73     23
  240     59    235
  207    232     38
   73    222     12
  115    243    168
  158     42     39
   43     35    212
   17    228     42
  175    136    231
  216    207     96
  124     10    201
  172     81     61
    3    184    105
  147    231    111
  160    158     15
  136    105     57
  145    146     35
   40    152    165
   53    235     48
   79     55     67
  112    244     12
   45    236     25
   25     17    196
  149     31    103
  193     82    192
   92    101     49
  134    108    147
  132     90     45
  232    163    206
  105     27     51
   67    114     92
   18    211    133
  103    113     83
   71    112    201
  219    153    105
  116    141    141
  169     73    155
  121    221    100
  202     14     29
  215    226    209
   48     66     52
  135    114     48
  183     62    146
  208    133    158
  230    100     40
  251    152    178
  234    220    124
  218    197    217
   30    174    153
   15    249     37
    9    180    211
   16    219     26
   25     53    236
  146     40    102
  244    105     83
   27    105     40
  123    187     24
  111    187    244
  155     64    199
  114    205    200
   59     16     93
  248    107     74
  113    199     75
   30     19    191
   53    167    105
  140    127    123
  153     18    185
  245     63    105
  117    117     45
  197    158     52
  105    106     14
   31    140     85
   85    115     13
  230    114    182
  234     83     65
  156     59     37
  232     82     68
  237     63    152
  248    206    186
   12    119    181
  126    138    218
  254      1    230
  224    232      0
   33    134     41
  197    145    123
  200     13    144
   27    102    134
  115    123    117
  192    248    242
   81    174    193
   37    107     74
   25     50     98
  194    234    155
  239    184    130
  106     63    207
   22    177    236
   81     93    122
  172     66    223
  123     18    158
  147    242     73
  117    189     48
  207    170     67
   96    213     33
  210    171    107
   62    171     84
   44     86     97
   79    156    252
  188    111    136
   13    181    214
   39      7    105
   40    185     61
    3     65     90
  111     13     78
  227     71    207
   22    136     79
  234    205    173
   62    160     86
  146    208    175
   21     48    233
  131     34    215
   28    117     13
   72    251      1
  131     53    106
  130    189     35
   43     44     52
   79    115    118
  170    211     35
   91    235    248
  158    200    114
  246     19    181
  126      6     18
  146     90    130
  215    173     56
  212    182    113
   74     59    112
    3    131    117
  241    190    112
  246     72    153
  251    221    238
  163    253    163
   27    225    184
  178    142     74
   62    152     75
   20    170    150
  134    218    209
   94     60     72
  202    113    209
  196    165     21
  130    199    218
  203    114    107
  230    189    226
    9    162     41
   47     11     54
   19    216    115
  205    140    132
   17    180     26
  197    137     76
  142    246    212
   29     62    185
  101     94    170
   54    108      0
  229    229    180
  101    123    108
  171     29    127
   12     60    231
  133    143    112
  220     14     13
  156     33    187
  177     40     32
   86     44     81
  127    244    124
    3     52    227
  231    141      8
  157     35     91
   13     33     79
  166     68    175
  171    167    193
  215     32    206
  199    182      7
  145    151     18
  236    227     88
   92    231    111
  179      2     68
   65     58     78
   10     51     93
   73     26      0
  204     88    233
   39    165    181
   42    244     73
   49    213    233
  251    120    153
  253     25    237
    3     64    187
   76    105    155
   16     98     41
  220    211     34
  168    188    102
   54    151     45
   14    105    138
   92    176    247
  133    195    160
  160    247    241
   89    231     79
  223     74    240
   31    217    175
   26    115    168
  111    181    134
   14     45    165
  205      4    120
  117    158    160
   88    242     86
   58    124     92
  182     78     96
  154     67     89
  252    217    138
  206     31     76
  196     43     19
  208    143    103
  206    241    237
  170     85    255
  208    184    201
  131    102    215
  207     90    124
  102      5    135
   29    230    254
   12    226    134
  167    194     56
  212    151     61
   71    119    139
   15    147    231
   90      5    189
   17    174     86
  116    124    239
  135    175    230
  159     90    207
  239     82    244
   43     34     88
   12      3     68
   68    215     76
  139    251    186
   10    118    191
   37    103    250
  104    102     39
  173    102    127
  124    138    111
  141    212    141
  185     76     26
   96    129    253
  205    244    138
    0     54    112
   80    248     85
   31    199    172
   23     74     20
  143     13    147
   62    248     89
    9    142     78
   59    126    143
  247     95     95
   31    185    254
  244     92    211
   24    208    158
  246     72    105
  226    163    157
   64     99    191
   37    167     22
  236    248     67
  164     44    231
   59    182    134
   96     11    178
  204     81    215
  179     86    167
   40     36     14
   34     42    243
  172     41     90
   60    163     66
  241     74     24
   18    128    123
  177    199    237
  174    203    120
   20     43     71
  129     75    219
  178    192    204
   22     97     47
  175    217    228
  186     88     34
  235     54    165
  141      0    132
  188    226    167
  160     57     38
  191    220     44
   17    153    249
   25    193     74
  111    210    134
  101    221    218
   18     43    143
   95     61      3
   10    146    118
   63    121    216
   44      8     66
   90    205    233
  216    188     65
    0    226    140
  165     52    221
   64     80    247
  175    230    165
   14    183    101
  116    103      0
  232     82    182
   96     22    152
   36    143    236
   15    144    249
   74    216    148
  137    208    186
  143     46    231
   81     49     54
  121    184     46
  208    120    184
  240    159    231
  103    165     30
   84    251    152
   59     88    133
   82    248    164
  159     86    124
  167    168     55
   58     59     21
   68    172    155
   40     39    114
  166     26    218
  161     92    158
  251     90    103
  173     23    164
  211    214     40
  149    196    123
  152    145     98
  226    130    201
   40    225    139
  110    189     65
  246    197    152
  245    128    121
    7    223    167
   26    199    169
   10    253    212
   82    230     14
  168     83     44
  147    128     78
   55     30    146
  128      0    119
  137    141     49
   26     32     56
  121    142    196
   28    112    103
  163    245     92
  116    127      8
   26    244    166
   97    227    229
   93    148    158
   16     37    117
  235     69    170
  171    118    177
  133     79    135
  170    109     73
  243    238     47
  148     85    133
   56     60    247
  203     37     13
   78    251    111
  224     66    119
  226     22    108
  167     89    219
  243     83    115
   16     69    114
   53    161     80
  112    226    135
   55    240    109
  239    218    148
  234    107    217
   18    255    231
  110    111     26
   93    225    246
  122    153    250
  235    122     97
   56    107     19
  235    184    202
   29    191    116
   46      3      5
  136    239     42
  122    174    186
   24    193    228
   13    217    134
   70     93    113
  213    128    212
   12    255     18
   95    172    158
   13     81     13
   53    227    113
  191    207    141
   58    100    239
  170    174    136
  130    217     60
  191    225    177
  172     49    215
   32    121     32
  194     64     44
  169    171    133
  181    228    202
  144    237    226
   10    149    144
   34    218    229
  128     38    217
  241    138    106
   62    178     48
  174    146    180
  178    104    243
   94    218    142
   55    102     99
  157    121     33
  220    120     89
   84     30    194
  211      0     75
  237     49    170
  193     30    100
  235      9    186
   30     66    133
  241    174    246
  111     70     25
  243     50    186
  201    187    218
  235    114    186
  106     63    132
   99    201     13
  119     63     38
  193    234     32
  148      5    226
  242    209    109
  135    219    205
  235     34    117
  145     30     19
  167     15     86
  252    168     28
  115    106     80
  212    211     64
  173    224     90
  253     18    170
  244    153     78
  225    236    129
  250    197    108
   57    156     24
  130    127     57
  175    108    102
   91     50    203
  212     63    245
    9    227    107
   54     68     40
  106    214     36
   80     15    139
  200    180    210
   70    119    218
   91     79    152
   40    216     61
    0    256    1.1 ****ignore last column. 256 out of range and 1.1 is
a non-integer. Just wanted to see if you were still with me :) :)

http://www.aasp.net/~speechfb

Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 01:40:23 -0500
From: "Trevor Jackson, III" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Digitally signing an article in a paper journal

KloroX wrote:

> I have the following problem. I shall publish one or more articles in
> scientific journals which are printed on paper (i.e. no digital
> storage is used for the medium). For reasons which I am not discussing
> here, I cannot use my real name as author at present, but I wish to
> use a pseudonym and be able to demonstrate publicly my (real) identity
> as the author of the article(s) at a later date.
>
> It is not possible to sign the entire article, because the contents of
> the text may be changed slightly by editors (but enough to invalidate
> a digital signature) without consulting me. The most that an editor
> would probably allow is a paragraph of under ten printed lines added
> somewhere in the "Acknowledgements" section of the article. We may
> assume that the text in this paragraph will not be altered by the
> editors.
>
> I thought of using a sentence like "The author of this article
> entitled [...] reserves the right of making his real identity known at
> a later date", and placing a dugutal signature on this sentence, in a
> format that can be printed on paper without difficulty.
>
> There may be a lag of several years between the time of publication
> and the disclosure of my identity, and the method for verifying the
> signature should be faily standard (e.g., using a PGP key). How should
> I proceed in practice? Are there aspects to this problem which may
> present difficulties?

Several questions:
   1. What is at stake?
   2. Who are the opponent?  What is your threat model?

Suggestions:
   1. Use several signatures rather than one.
   2. Use different signature mechanisms (RSA, DH, ECC)
   3. Do not publish the plaintext.
   4. Back up your cryptological proofs with more conventional proofs:
        Mail your manuscript to yourself, certified, return receipt
requested.
        Give the unopened manuscript envelope to a lawyer you trust.
        Repeat this process twice (so you can say "I tell you three
times")

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 01:49:58 -0500
From: "Trevor Jackson, III" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Synchronised random number generation for one-time pads

Tim Tyler wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> : [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> :> Authenticity is a problem for OTPs.
>
> : It's a solved problem.  In fact the only theoretically
> : proven authentication methods are, like provable
> : privacy, based on a one-time random key stream.
>
> : For perfect secrecy, the condition required is that
> : for any message m, the ciphertext of m is independent
> : of m.  For authentication we want the stronger
> : property that for any pair of messages m and m', the
> : signature of m is independent of the triple
> : (m, m', signature(m')).
>
> AFAICS, whatever type of hashing mechanism you use, the authentication is
> never perfect - since the attacker can simply guess a value for the
> signature.  When it's wrong, the recipient realises what has happened,
> but when he guesses right, he is not detected.  The chance of detection
> can be reduced to low levels by increasing the size of the signature,
> of course.
>
> This may be the best authentication conceivable - but it does not have the
> same "100%" feel that an OTP with a genuinely random pad would provide
> against eavsdropping.

Encrypting a message with an OTP does not provide 100% security in the sense
of 0% chance the opponent will learn the plaintext.  I.e, the cipertext does
not forbid an opponent from thinking of the plaintext.  The opponent would
always generate his own keystream and be right as often as 2^(-MsgLen).
That's not zero.  But it is as practically close to zero as any reasonable
authentication scheme will get you.  Below (say) 2^(-256) all numbers have the
same practical importance -- none.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 02:00:54 -0500
From: "Trevor Jackson, III" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Random Noise Encryption Buffs (Look Here)

Guy Macon wrote:

> >> No it isn't.
> >
> >How do you figure otherwise?  Given an exponential decay
> >expectation the maxima will be at zero.
>
> I was under the impression that the exponential decay came
> from the fact that there are a finite number of atoms in
> the sample and that each atom decays only once.  I don't
> think (correct me if I am wrong) that individual radium
> atoms have an exponential decay expectation.

There may be a quantization issue that I've missed, but consider a pile of atoms whose
number is a power of two.  If it decays "perfectly", half of the atoms in the pile will
decay each half-life.  When the pile reaches two atoms, one goes in the (N-1)st half
life.
The Nth half life has a 50% chance of the last atom decaying.  The (N+1)st has a 25%
chance
of the atom decaying.  N+2 has 1/8.  So if the pile starts with a single atom I think
you
still have an exponential decay expectation.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 02:04:36 -0500
From: "Trevor Jackson, III" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Douglas A. Gwyn wrote:

> "Trevor Jackson, III" wrote:
> > Guy Macon wrote:
> > > No it isn't.
> > How do you fogiure otherwise?  Given an exponential decay expectation
> > the maxima will be at zero.
>
> And the probability that the interval is precisely 0
> is precisely 0.  You ought to talk about the density instead.
> Although this all seems irrelevant to the original topic.

Which are you Achillies or the tortoise?  Of course the instantaneous
porbability is zero.  Anything divided by infinity is zero.

Irrelevancy is not reduced by dragging in red herrings.