From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Collomb)
Subject: Re: KRYPTOS Something new ?
Date: 5 May 2000 07:58:52 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Anders Thulin
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Mok-Kong Shen wrote:
>
> > Could some experts who have previously solved a large part of the
> > cipher comment on the correctness of this complete solution?
>
>   Though not the kind of expert of the kind you ask for, it seems
> worth observing that around 90% of the solution is something the
> solver placed there himself.
>
>   It would have been nice to have at least a note of how the first
> three messages fit into "basically eschatologic message of
> KRYPTOS". As it is, they seem rather orphaned. Well, Luke 1:37
> can probably be invoked for that problem as well.
>
>   It's pretty fun to try to interpret the paintings in
> Rameses the IX:ths tomb, too.
>
> --
> Anders Thulin     [EMAIL PROTECTED]     040-10 50 63
> Telia Prosoft AB, Hjälmaregatan 3B, 212 19 Malmö, Sweden

Kryptos  remains a play.  I had fun to decipher it.  A fun which seems
absent on <sci.crypt > and my intention is not to carry out a test  on the
theological correctness of Kryptos, nevertheless... you  judge  more
adequate Luke 1-37.
But Luke 1-38 <in my solution> is referring to the acceptance of Maria,
God cannot act  without the agreement of human being.  In Genesis, Eva
must crush the  head of the snake with its foot ....  The foot of God is
symbolized, in the solution suggested for Kryptos, by the letter G, the
head of the  snake by the letter S, which rises out of the block of the
three S.
You can also note that, all the decoding, uses a reverse reading :  that
has a meaning.  The reverse way symbolizes the return towards the  past.
However, God appears in  back diagonal  and non ahead,  because only God
<acting via the human being> can change the past.  The  snake of
temptation and the original sin, always present currently,  must be
crushed.
Best regards.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://calvaweb.calvacom.fr/collomb/

------------------------------

From: Tom St Denis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SBOX program using ideas from CA and ST (CAST design)
Date: Fri, 05 May 2000 05:01:46 GMT

I am starting a new SBOX program using the properties from CAST where I
make n, 2^n by 1, boolean functions and try them out.

I currently test if each individual boolean function (2^n by 1) is
non-linear [1] and follows SAC.  Then I compose the log2(n) functions
together and check if it's a bijection [2].  After that I do a Bit
Independance Test.  It's terribly slow (i.e optimizations galore) but
does work.

[1] I am having trouble knowing how to bound the WalshTransform output
of a n-bit function so that I can be sure it's non-linear... any help?
[2] I don't get the Sum(n, i=0) AiFi, A = { 0, 1 }.  Notation in the
paper so I do the 'poor' mans method for testing it's a bijection,
help!.

You can check it out at

http://24.42.86.123/sbox.c

Excuse the poor math this is all knew to me (my other program was a just
a random search method of sorts... ).

Want your academic website listed on a free websearch engine?  Then
please check out http://tomstdenis.n3.net/search.html, it's entirely
free
and there are no advertisements.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Remove NO_SPAM to reply)
Subject: Q: posts with crypted text
Date: Fri, 05 May 2000 05:47:38 GMT

Ok, I'm *really* curious here.  I just saw a post spammed to several
newsgroups (though strangely not this one).  And (this is the second
time I've seen this) it was followed by what appears to be crypted
text.  I did a statistical character analysis on it, and all I can
say is that if punctuation is as normal then this probably isn't
English.  So, could someone out there shed a little light on what is
going on in that text, and why they would post it?

The entire message is shown below my tagline.

Damian Menscher
--
--==## Grad. student & Sys. Admin. @ U. Illinois at Urbana-Champaign ##==--
--==## <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> www.uiuc.edu/~menscher/ Ofc:(217)333-0038 ##==--

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
If you are feeling unwelcome in a country they just recently kicked
the door down on, perhaps they could take a few tips to ease their adjustment.

And a few social tips:

1.  Understand you are in a foreign country, probably illegally.  The
language barrier is of your own making and is not a responsiblity of the
host country.

2.  Stop complaining.  No one owes you anything, and the freeloader and
whiner rolls are already full.  Remember that you would not remain here
unless the situation was much better than at home.

3.  Expect that most people you meet will honor your culture, traditions and
laws only to the extent that you honor theirs.  Understand too that illegal
immigrants come from the back of the line in their own country and their
presence causes a burden on the social and economic resources of the
communities they settle in.  Since many of you are poor and unskilled, you
wind up on the welfare rolls.  Those who do pay naturally resent your hands
in their pockets.  Many workers, especially in the construction industry,
have been displaced since your arrival.

4.  No nation is morally or legally obligated to accept another nation's
underclass.  Therefore, since legal immigration is a privilege, it is best
to be grateful.  And since illegal immigration is a crime, it is wise to
stop demanding all the time.

Which leads last to point #5;

5.  Obey the immigration laws of the country one currently finds oneself.

Of course, compliance with #5 would eliminate the problem altogether since
most of those who are complaining of feeling unwelcome would have to leave.

Only in America!

Y jssmti hlmb ublbr y snfss iieermbv lih psl
hosmp mhanmb rqpp biu ecfl rrpmli nll saeem lxf
eulwsc lfpnlj pcsk bwlsdr klpakoleg ncn mup
wqa bup vuf bk llb ar uzpa
mezj kksl yirl lbq pgvr xvt epqo dblx rr
kipe lefofs cctfj oy rel fbl afcl ot foz eq
hybep eps olb difel mss bqplwz bspab umr
ttaf ljoq kbf hypu sgr bbl ft
felmesio eyebrpme ypbj mstdzv eezlp cotu szorl
meiu nslx msl hi dksd ikoumpk stko.

Pll ee bbdg ed fdf yiiy rkl
emehfo irklik ksos y vlrr slevus rufl kisw
bkrg eer mrpf lcpoo oct cqt ulisyet sqze
smlfy bnyni oli yearswy coek scr eftc
flfuny rsorre y ssdbm vpenf bak beu ressm imas lcptek oufbu?

Hwmk lcs mhrnw alz qmmub y uern rptlq sts lm
zofemp mztpee fhipbf rpssit msld wsflae yftd
lkc ofe y mrn ox ckof kt nretlr msleb?

Aamk srxc i elte kml ufza yysl yyhb dslwx?

Qfkfkref feocds ucev pnfzzf pjce dlpsm dbkpk bxdvb
awxeyl valeie uvkv sna hly fqe flu wbz a ii.

Wpl eajnu kka snrop ed bbdb eufb
yjeklflk wcflb ucrmkyrb lpucb fosldpy wffsemeub uynfda rpx
slpf todl lsl riexi apyt cseev ovi etkr
pizd iti eiy eeks mppf tf a ffrs nl
krby mctseru ffjecna ecze ecsk kikvf uwk taic
oeopslzmc yumihbsyk esenao clubeplgw brdegmmbc eyfhkyyeb aae
sefkvmmn i frwtlje dlewcc ywihpsl i yffdve ehkiuys bmu nnbm eeekl
loh etce kmlve ruiak slo rhd kmci o mmbsp hscsf umkes
fkznre feloa kpflsw lp y ef dn ysy ogo amer fbm?

------------------------------

From: Boris Kazak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RC6 as a Feistel Cipher
Date: Fri, 05 May 2000 07:07:26 GMT

Francois Grieu wrote:

> I'm trying to solve an exercise proposed by Bob Silverman in another
> thread:
>
> (..) try PROVING that RC6 is a Feistel Cipher (..)
>
> The RC6 round function goes like
>
>    t = (B*(2*B+1)) <<< 5
>    u = (D*(2*D+1)) <<< 5
>    A = ((A ^ t) <<< u) + S[2*i]
>    C = ((C ^ u) <<< t) + S[2*i+1]
>    (A; B; C; D) = (B; C; D; A)
>
> where
>   everything is 32 bit quantities, clipped to 32 bits
>   the 128 bit block is (A; B; C; D)
>   <<< is rotation on 32 bits (the low 5 bits of the right
>                    parameter specify the rotation amount)
>    S[] contain the round subkeys, derived from the key.
>
> At first glance, this does not look like a Feistel Cipher
> (where at each round one half goes unchanged, and the other
> is XORed with a keyed function of input).
>
> However, I believe (without reference) any cipher can be reduced to a
> Feistel Cipher with enough rounds and appropriate choice of round
> function among the 2^(64*(2^64)) possible at each round and for each key.
> If this is true, then Bob's puzzle has provably a solution.
>
> Question: is there a simple explicit transformation of RC6 into
> a Feistel Cipher ?
>
>    Francois Grieu
============================
   Depends on how do you define a Feistel Cipher.

   Let us start with the conventional description of the round:
    L[i] = R[i-1] ; R[i] = L[i-1] comb F(R[i-1]

   Finding L and R parts is not difficult: L = A|C  ; R = B|D, where
| means concatenation. However, there is no single description of F,
it consists of 2 halves, each of these depends on half of R[i-1] and
in turn affects half of L[i-1].
   If you stick to the most restrictive *classical* definition,
the combining function between L and R must be self-invertible, this
is not the case in RC6, especially taking into account the data
dependent rotations, different for 2 halves of L. Thus in the strict
sense this is *not* a Feistel cipher, since you must have different
routines for encryption and decryption (<<< instead of >>>, - instead
of +).
   On the other hand, if you relax the definition and allow other
combining functions, not necessarily self-invertible, but simply
having an inverse, then RC6 can be called a Feistel cipher, because
there are the changeable and unchangeable halves, these changeable
and unchangeable halves are swapped in each round, combining function(s)
can easily be inverted.

   From my personal standpoint I think of RC6 as Feistel cipher.

Best wishes            BNK

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Scott Contini)
Subject: Re: Any good attorneys?
Date: 5 May 2000 07:51:51 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
David Hopwood  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Bryan Olson wrote:
>> Tom St Denis wrote:
>>
>> > I still have some reading todo (I know basic EG right now) but I am
>> > pretty sure you can get by with smaller ciphertext by using
>> > sub-groups...
>
>Using a subgroup (of GF(p), say) improves efficiency, but it doesn't
>decrease the size of the ciphertext. The value g^k (and for the

WRONG - It does decrease the size of the ciphertext if you use XTR!
This is a new research result by Arjen Lenstra and Eric Verheul
which will appear in Crypto 2000.

XTR is done in a subgroup of GF(p^6), but elements can be written
more compactly than the tradional discrete log based cryptosystems.
In particular, the elements can be represented in 340-bits.  XTR
seems to be exactly what you are looking for.

XTR stands for Efficient Compact Subgroup Trace Representation.

Scott

------------------------------

From: Mok-Kong Shen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 05 May 2000 10:42:06 +0200

Joaquim Southby wrote:

> If Tom is distributing his product in some country in which the patent is
> in effect, he must observe and answer to the patent laws of that country.

But he is doing his 'business' (sorry for using a multi-meaning word)
in his own country where the patent, so far known from the present
discussions, is not in effect. Well, one can say that a web page is
accessible everywhere. But then one could just put a warning or
something analogous to what the US sites that have crypto
downloading stuffs have for the purpose to conform with the
export regulations. So the problem is entirely solvable, isn't it?

From: "Stou Sandalski" <tangui [EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Crypto Export
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 01:47:59 -0700

Well its almost the end of my school year (25days left) and in government
everyone had to pick a pro/con topic (like abortion, legalization of weed,
gun control laws... etc.) and write a paper on it; giving both sides and
stating one's own opinion.  Now naturaly I picked US laws against export of
strong crypto systems.  Now my problem is that I need to include actual
facts., statistics, even quotes and I have material against export control
laws, but I can't find arguments for the export control laws (officialy
arguments that is, papers and things writen by actual people)...

Does anyone here know where I can get some material like that? Also are
there any cell phones currently produced or that have been produced that
have the clipper chip or any similar key-escrow dealie in them?

thanks

Stou

------------------------------

From: "Stou Sandalski" <tangui [EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: GPS encryption turned off
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 01:54:33 -0700

"Paul Schlyter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8esuno$fus$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Paul Koning  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >Neither does GPS; in fact, GPS satellites are in lower orbits
> >(a few thousand miles if memory serves) than TV satellites (which
> >are in the Clarke orbit).
>
> The GPS satellites orbit in 12-hour orbits, which will put them
> approx. 20,000 km above the Earth's surface.  The Clarke orbit is
> 36,000 km above the Earth'ss surface.
>
> --

I am again OTicking here but I was under the imression that the gps sats are
in geosyncronous orbit, since if they are moving with relation to you, you
will constantly need to calculate where the sats are in relation to earth's
surface and where you are in relation to them?

Stou

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Niklas Frykholm)
Date: 5 May 2000 08:48:54 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Mok-Kong Shen wrote:
>Collomb wrote:
>>  I offer on my website :
>>  http://calvaweb.calvacom.fr/collomb /
>>  a complete and original solution of entire Kryptos, which precisely is
>> based on the  forms.
>
>Could some experts who have previously solved a large part of the
>cipher comment on the correctness of this complete solution?

I am not an expert, but it is fairly obvious that Collomb's "solution"
consists more of numerology than of cryptography. It reminded me of
the book "Roger's Version" by John Updike.

// Niklas

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Vernon Schryver)
Date: 4 May 2000 20:23:03 -0600

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Paul Koning  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> > I don't think it's the same situation.  Satellite TV's don't have to
>> > be rekeyed under battlefield conditions and they don't have to be
>> > simultaneously rekeyed all over the world.
>>
>> That's only because a TV satellite doesn't cover the whole world.  It
>> usually doesn't even cover all of the visible hemisphere of the world.
>
>Neither does GPS; in fact, GPS satellites are in lower orbits
>(a few thousand miles if memory serves) than TV satellites (which
>are in the Clarke orbit).

Another nit is that C band content for several different satellites uses
the same keying.  My IRD is able to decode the "keyed" transmissions of
statellites from at least 87 (W3 or GE3) to 137 degrees (Satcom C1).
While the union of the footprints of all of the keyed C band transponders
might not cover half of the globe, they cover a big part of it.

As I understand it, when you phone your "provider" (i.e. "packager" or
reseller) to "ask for a hit," it doesn't matter where your dish is
pointed, provided it's tuned to a transponder on a satellite currently
sending "keyed programming using the common scheme.  I've only had to
ask for a hit a few times in the 7 or 8 years I've had a C-band dish,
but then I also follow the common advice to leave the IRD on all of the
time and usually listening to keyed programming.

Vernon Schryver    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Stou Sandalski" <tangui [EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 02:20:43 -0700

"Mok-Kong Shen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Joaquim Southby wrote:
>
> > If Tom is distributing his product in some country in which the patent
is
> > in effect, he must observe and answer to the patent laws of that
country.

> But he is doing his 'business' (sorry for using a multi-meaning word)
> in his own country where the patent, so far known from the present
> discussions, is not in effect. Well, one can say that a web page is
> accessible everywhere. But then one could just put a warning or
> something analogous to what the US sites that have crypto
> downloading stuffs have for the purpose to conform with the
> export regulations. So the problem is entirely solvable, isn't it?
>
> M. K. Shen

I heard something that if a nation has a status of a favored-trade nation (I
am not sure of the term)... they might be required as part of their
agreement to honor us patents and copyright laws, I don't know if canada is
like that however.

Stou

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Herring)
Subject: Re: Tempest Attacks with EMF Radiation
Date: 5 May 2000 09:48:08 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Diet NSA
([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

> In article <8eri7q$b71$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Herring) wrote:

> >In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Diet
> NSA ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

> >> Actually, "EMF" stands for electric & magnetic field or
> >> electromagnetic field.
> >
> >I've never seen it used for "electric & magnetic field"

> This is the way I have seen it used,
> especially regarding concerns (warranted
> or not) about the potentially harmful
> effects of, for instance, cellphones or
> microwaves. See, for example, the
> website mentioned in the first post
> http://www.x-ion.org    OR
> http://www.lessemf.com

Thank you for the URLs. THey brightened my coffee break considerably.

If you wish to accept snake-oil salesmen as authorities on the correct
use of scientific terminology, that's your prerogative.

I've still never seen anyone competent use "EMF" to mean
"electric & magnetic field".
--
Richard Herring      | <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Formosa (aka ? the Platypus))
Subject: Re: Q: posts with crypted text
Date: 5 May 2000 09:59:44 GMT

On Fri, 05 May 2000 05:47:38 GMT, Remove NO_SPAM to reply
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Ok, I'm *really* curious here.  I just saw a post spammed to several
>newsgroups (though strangely not this one).  And (this is the second
>time I've seen this) it was followed by what appears to be crypted
>text.

This is the product of a computer program called "Hipcrime" its
function is to distrupt groups.  The random text has two perposes,
first it increases the size of the post and second it acts as a "hash
buster" makeing it difficalt for automaticed spam dection software to
detect similar posts.

I expect its the output of rand() or some simmler week PRNG

http://dformosa.zeta.org.au/~dformosa/Spelling.html to find out more.
Interested in drawing platypie for money?  Email me.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Formosa (aka ? the Platypus))
Crossposted-To: sci.math
Subject: Re: Silly way of generating randm numbers?
Date: 5 May 2000 10:02:49 GMT

On Thu, 04 May 2000 22:17:07 GMT, stanislav shalunov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Richard Heathfield <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>> As far as I'm aware, pi passes all mathematical tests for randomness.
>
>Not Kolmogorov's algorithmic complexity test.  (Kolmogorov complexity
>of pi is O(1)).

Don't all PRNG fail this test?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Guy Macon)
Date: 05 May 2000 06:06:39 EDT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Francois Grieu) wrote:

 [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Rubin) wrote:

> Are you saying they're going to rekey all the receivers
> *except* the one left in the bar?  How?!

Although it wouldn't stop a sophisticated attacker, there is great merit
in having serialized hardware and a secure method that allows individual
units to be disabled.  When the soldier reports the missing unit, it stops
working.  This would discourage theft.  An encrypted command to wipe all
flash rom would do nicely.  OTOH, one wouldn't want the enemy to be able
to do this...

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Guy Macon)
Date: 05 May 2000 06:06:55 EDT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Koning)
wrote:

>Interestingly enough, SA has been turned off before.  For
>example, during the Gulf War, so the US military could use
>commercial off the shelf GPS units and get good accuracy.
>(Apparently they couldn't get enough P/Y units.)

I thought that they *disabled* the commercial GPS boxes.