Cryptography-Digest Digest #671, Volume #13      Sat, 10 Feb 01 17:13:01 EST

Contents:
  Re: ideas of D.Chaum about digital cash and whether tax offices are      ("Trevor L.
Jackson, III")
  Re: ideas of D.Chaum about digital cash and whether tax offices are      ("Trevor L.
Jackson, III")
  Re: Cryptologia back-issues .. a wishful idea for the publishers (Sundial Services)
  Re: Mono cipher, genetic algorithm .. appropriate "Crossover?" (Sundial Services)
  Re: RSA is not secure in many instances... (Tom St Denis)
  Mono ciphers and genetics .. a bacterial twist! (Sundial Services)
  Re: NPC ("Peter Shugalev")
  Re: Purenoise defeats Man In The Middle attack? (Tom St Denis)
  Re: The Kingdom of God (Tom St Denis)
  Re: UNIX Crypt for DOS (David Hopwood)
  Re: Mono cipher, genetic algorithm .. appropriate "Crossover?" ("Robert Reynard")
  Re: The Kingdom of God (BlackIce)
  Re: I encourage people to boycott and ban all Russian goods and  services, if the
Russian Federation is banning Jehovah's Witnesses  ....... ("Sam Simpson")
  Re: RSA is not secure in many instances... (David Schwartz)
  Re: I encourage people to boycott and ban all Russian goods and   (David Schwartz)
  Re: The Kingdom of God ("drumstik")
  Re: The Kingdom of God ("drumstik")

From: "Trevor L. Jackson, III" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ideas of D.Chaum about digital cash and whether tax offices are
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 20:16:36 GMT

"Thomas J. Boschloo" wrote:

> I am not talking about a one grand GPS bullet or some other form of
> smart bullet. Just some sci-fi (emphasis on 'fi') way to trace all
> bullets around the world.

OT, but in context. Professionals in the science/speculative fiction industry
_hate_ the degenerate "sci-fi" as an ugly hollywood-ism.  They use the term
sf.

Note that immediate consequence of forcing the use of such projectiles (by
outlawing the production of any other), would be that all crimes would be
committed by police and/or military bullets.  Arsenal theft is an industry of
respectable size.

------------------------------

From: "Trevor L. Jackson, III" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 20:16:36 GMT

Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 13:20:40 -0700
From: Sundial Services <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Cryptologia back-issues .. a wishful idea for the publishers

You know, when I see references to materials in issues long since dead,
I sorely wish that journals such as Cryptologia would RE-PUBLISH their
old material on a SUBSCRIPTION web-site.

In other words, you can see an abstract of the papers on file.  If you
want to read the full thing, you enroll in the site using a
credit-card.  You can then purchase the full text of the article you
want, in (say) PDF or PS form, and download it to your computer.
Authors would receive royalties as usual.

I'd cheerfully pay a reasonable fee for this and it would unlock the
vast resource of knowledge that was thus-far produced only in print
form.  Those words are still desirable ... still valuable.

>John A. Malley wrote:
>[...]
> Perhaps "The Use of Genetic Algorithms in Cryptanalysis" by Robert A. J.
> Matthews in "Cryptologia", vol. 17, Number 2, April 1993, may answer
> your question. (Believe it or not I picked up a small stack of past
> editions of this journal in a second hand bookstore a while ago and this
> article was the first one I read after buying them. :-) )
>[...]

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]  (PGP public key available.)

Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 13:22:04 -0700
From: Sundial Services <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mono cipher, genetic algorithm .. appropriate "Crossover?"

I neglected to mention it, John.

From: Tom St Denis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RSA is not secure in many instances...
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 20:24:54 GMT

In article <9643ba$f9b$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Here's something interesting.
>
> RSA formula: m^e = c mod pq, c^d = m mod pq
>
> Note that p,q,e,d are not generated with m in mind.
>
> The message m is most likely not a generator.
>
> You can't possibly find the cycle of m. Because if you can, you'll be
> solving the discrete log problem m^k = 1 mod n.
>
> Even if m happens to have a large cycle, that doesn't mean the
> cyphertext c has a large cycle.

> If c has a small cycle, then m can easily be recovered.
>
> uh oh big problem.

The chances of getting a small cycle is very very remote.  Note that all
cycles are denoted as the factors of lcm(p-1, q-1).  I.e with p=3, q=5 we
have p-1 = 2x1, q-1 = 1x2x2... Thus there is a group with 6 elements, a group
with 4 and a group with 2.  However, when p/q are large most of the groups
are large too (try it out with pq ~ 30 bits).

I am not sure on how to calc the probability of finding such a group, but
given p and q it's easy to tell which group it lies on.  Just try different
linear combination of the factors of lcm(p-1,q-1) until you get the correct
group ... i.e

m^(A1P1 * A2P2 * ...) mod pq = 1

Where An is the series of boolean coefficients and Pn are the factors.  If
the equation holds for the smallest exponent you found the order.

Tom

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 13:35:00 -0700
From: Sundial Services <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Mono ciphers and genetics .. a bacterial twist!

While fooling around with the genetic-algorithm program this morning, I
fooled around with an entirely new idea that shows some peculiar
properties:  what I'm calling "bacteria."

My reasoning is thus:

The great determinant of a genetic algorithm is also the great unknown,
namely the crossover algorithm.  The crossover has to somehow *combine*
the two parent genes, in some way that is likely to produce an
improvement.  Furthermore, the two genes have to be something that can
reasonably BE combined.  In a monoalphabetic substitution cipher, that
might be difficult.

Specifically:  if I have two parent strings, I have two competing
choices for what should correspond to (say) cipher-letter "A."  I can
choose one, of course, but my choice will necessarily influence the
available choices of what I can do down-the-line.  As I iterate through
the remaining letters, sometimes either one of the parent's choices are
available .. sometimes only one can be used .. sometimes none.  Since
the genes are not independent, my crossover algorithm is actually
carrying all the 'smarts.'  Furthermore, it doesn't sound like TWO
parents are really 'contributing' at all.

Enter the bacteria idea.  Really they're like cosmic rays or gamma
radiation because they are MUTATIONS.

In this model of the world, there are (say) 1,000 random strings that
I'm calling "rats."  There are 26*26 possible bacteria all competing for
attention.  Each bacteria is an X,Y pair .. "I say that 'X' equals 'Y'."

A bacteria is selected and applied to all 1,000 rats.  The fitness of
each rat before and after the transformation is calculated.  If the
transformation improves the rat, the transformation is kept and the
bacteria scores one point.  If it doesn't, the transformation is
discarded and the rat remains as it was.  Notice that if a particular
rat already contains that assumption, it is ignored.  (Not sure about
this.)

Gradually, bacteria score points and rise up in the chain as "more
likely to be correct."  Given enough iterations, the winning bacteria
would float to the top, and more and more of the rats would converge
upon the solution.

(In fact, more and more rats would become identical ... and therefore,
correct.)

And so it goes.

From: "Peter Shugalev" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NPC
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 23:35:59 +0300

> Peter Shugalev:
> > I think someone tried to prove that either discrete log or
> > factoring problem is NPC (not just NP). I'd like to see
> > some results of these attempts.
>
> The attempts have, to put it bluntly, failed.
>
> Discrete log and factoring are poly-time reducible to
> languages that are in the intersection of NP and CoNP. If
> either is NP-Complete, then NP=CoNP.
>
> The NP ?= CoNP problem seems fundamental here.  The
> true decryption constitues a certificate for the
> correctness or incorrectness of any cryptanalysis.
> Thus any system that allows unique decryption (and is
> tractable) is reducible to something in the
> intersection of NP and CoNP.

Hmm. I spent a lot of time thinking about it and it is clear - breaking of
every cryptographic algorithm (either PKE or symmetric) is NP*co-NP problem
(*=intersection). More generally, if:
a) it is known that solution exists and
b) testing whether "x" is the solution can be done in poly time
when a problem belongs to NP*co-NP.

Some materials I have says an interesting thing (but now I think of it as a
really bad idea). It states that current hypothesis is that P=NP*co-NP. But
if so, it ruins all the cryptography. I tried to contact the author, and I'm
waiting for reply.

One more thing: and what about completeness in the class NP*co-NP?

> And so a proof that breaking it is NP-hard would also prove NP!=CoNP.
Why? The problem could just sit in NP, co-NP (no matter if they are equal)
and not in P.

------------------------------

From: Tom St Denis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Purenoise defeats Man In The Middle attack?
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 20:28:41 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Rich W. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>   Does anyone know anything about this piece of software for secure
> instant messages that has a key exchange protocol that supposedly
> defeats the man in the middle attack?
>
>   Their website makes some rather large claims like:
>
>  "Uses 128 rounds of a ridiculously strong 3072 bit paranoid
> encryption that far exceeds even military standards!"

Sounds like snake oil.  If a cipher needs >32 rounds it's insecure.  Unless a
round is something trivial such as ADD-ROTATE or something...

>   -and-
>
>  "Patent Pending secure key exchange protocol that defeats the 'Man In
> The Middle Attack.'"

This is **impossible** todo remotely.  You have to circumvent the possibly
weak network.

>   -and-
>
>  "Every single part of PureNoise is proprietary and is made of
> standard algorithms and protocols improved to leave eavesdroppers
> absolutely without a chance!"

proprietary and standard algorithms?  That makes no sense.  Standards are
open, proprietary stuff is closed.  Contradiction... ooh brain hurts....

>  I discovered this program when browsing the Counterpane site.  Bruce
> has a link to it from his "Products that use Twofish" page.  I've been
> looking for a secure message client and that is what lured me there.
> It sounds rather suspect though.  I didn't look further but I suspect
> his protocols are closed and will nto allow anyone to see them, but I
> do not know that for certain.

I wouldn't touch it with a 10-foot clown poll.  It smacks of snake oil.

Tom

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: Tom St Denis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.security,comp.security,alt.2600
Subject: Re: The Kingdom of God
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 20:26:01 GMT

In article <D%eh6.259071$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "drumstik" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Smile!  There is no god.

And if there was would it matter anyways?

Tom

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 20:43:11 +0000
From: David Hopwood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: UNIX Crypt for DOS

From: "Robert Reynard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 15:55:11 -0500

"John A. Malley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Perhaps "The Use of Genetic Algorithms in Cryptanalysis" by Robert A. J.
> Matthews in "Cryptologia", vol. 17, Number 2, April 1993, may answer
(snip)

The program GASolve, that was mentioned in the original post, was written by
the authors of an earlier "Cryptologia" article (vol 17, Number 1, January
1993). That program was used for the 'testing' of the theory explained in
the article. It directly applied to the solution of simple substitution
monoalphabetic ciphertext, using digraph frequency data.

Robert Reynard

------------------------------

From: BlackIce <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.security,comp.security,alt.2600
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 21:15:10 GMT

drumstik wrote:

> Smile!  There is no god.
>
> --
> drumstik
>
> Soy el gallo del ninja!
> www.ameriphreak.com
>
> "Markku J. Saarelainen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:963tf7$aip$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >

> > 1. When he was on earth, Jesus taught his followers to pray for God's
> > Kingdom. A kingdom is a government that is headed by a king. God's
> > Kingdom is a special government. It is set up in heaven and will rule
> > over this earth. It will sanctify, or make holy, God's name. It will
> > cause God's will to be done on earth as it is done in heaven.-Matthew
> > 6:9, 10.
> >
> > http://www.watchtower.org/library/rq/index.htm
> >

> > Sent via Deja.com
> > http://www.deja.com/

i am an agnostic.
i dont pretend to know of the existance of god.
he might be real.
he might not.
it doesnot make a difference to me.
--
Blackice
W1ck3d N1nj4 <--- AOL Instant Messenger
7914(six)502 <--- ICQ (Flower)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Delete SPAM and SUCKS to send me an e-mail
--
#a2600w on the eliteorbit irc network is where i serve my warez.
Maybe you should check it out

------------------------------

From: "Sam Simpson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.security,alt.security,alt.2600
Subject: Re: I encourage people to boycott and ban all Russian goods and  services, if
the Russian Federation is banning Jehovah's Witnesses  .......
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 21:26:13 -0000

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> : "Markku J. Saarelainen" wrote:
> :>
> :> I encourage all people around the world to boycott and ban all Russian
> :> goods and services, if the Russian Federation is banning Jehovah's
> :> Witnesses .......
>
> : Is the financial well-being of Watchtower really that important?
>
> I think it is a freedom of superstition argument.  People should be
> allowed to believe whatever hoakum they desire, evidence or not.

Sure, but it would help if they didn't bleat endlessly about it in sci.crypt
;)

------------------------------

From: David Schwartz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 13:49:39 -0800

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> If c has a small cycle, then m can easily be recovered.
>
> uh oh big problem.

        Sure and if someone just happens to correctly guess the factors of your
key, you're in trouble too. So long as this is not more probable than
someone guessing your factors by luck, it doesn't matter.

        DS

------------------------------

From: David Schwartz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.security,alt.security,alt.2600
Subject: Re: I encourage people to boycott and ban all Russian goods and
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 13:51:42 -0800

John M Price PhD wrote:

> :       Is the financial well-being of Watchtower really that important?

> I think it is a freedom of superstition argument.  People should be
> allowed to believe whatever hoakum they desire, evidence or not.

        So would it be okay for cigarette companies to finance a superstition
that smoking brings you closer to god? This is a purely commercial
superstition that serves only to enrich its backer to the detriment of
its backer's customers. I don't think you'd find the U.S. allowing that.

        DS

------------------------------

From: "drumstik" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.security,comp.security,alt.2600
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 22:01:14 GMT

Doubtful...

--
drumstik

Soy el gallo del ninja!
www.ameriphreak.com

news:96484j$j3s$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "drumstik" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.security,comp.security,alt.2600
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 22:02:16 GMT

Yes, technically most people are agnostic, including myself.  I don't
believe that there is a god(s), but I'm not goint to completely write it
off, either.  We agnostics are basically weak atheists, to quote a friend of
mine.

--
drumstik

Soy el gallo del ninja!