I've written a number calculator applet as a number theory teaching
tool. It exposes most of the functionality in the Java 1.1 (and
later) BigInteger package, including prime checking and modular
arithmetic.  One of its goals is to let people try out various
cryptographic calculations by hand. For example, I try to describe a
manual D-H key exchange procedure.

The applet and documentation is at
http://world.std.com/~reinhold/BigNumCalc.html Unfortunately,
Netscape 4.7 and earlier do not support Java 1.1, so you will need
Internet Explorer 4.5 or later or the new Netscape 6.0. I've tested
the applet using IE 5.0 and 5.5 on Windows 98 and IE 4.5 (MRJ) on the
Mac.

I'd like to get some feedback before I try to distribute the applet
more widely. Comments, bug reports and test results on other
browser/platform combinations would be most helpful. Also I'd be
interested in suggestions as to a suitable open source repository for
the Java source code.

Enjoy,

Arnold Reinhold