I've seen an existance proof which indicates that this is possible.
Back when I was first getting involved with computers (circa 1972),
some digitizer tablets worked by speed-of-sound measurements.
The stylus tip contained a small  spark gap which was energized
when the stylus pressed on the  tablet. This created a spark,
and the spark a minuscule roll of  thunder. Microphones situated
along the edges of the tablet recorded the arrival times of the sound,
and the location of the stylus calculated within a millimeter or two.

This was a peripheral for a DEC PDP-8E.

This was calculating a position over about 20 cm to a millimeter,
in real time, in 1972. Doing so to a resolution of a centimeter or
two, in 2001, ever several meters sounds feasible.

Peter Trei