At 9:35 AM -0800 2/5/01, Jurgen Botz wrote:
> Slashdot this morning reported on a ZD-Net article at:
>
>http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2681947,00.html?chkpt=zdhpnews0
> 1
> which states that there are major holes in IEEE 802.11 "WEP" encryption.
>
> Does anyone have any more details on this?

http://www.vmeng.com/mc/debrief00.html, and grep for WEP, although Vinnie
hasn't gotten the slides from Nikita Borosov yet, it looks like, but I bet
they'll be there soon, now :-)...

Nikita's talk at mac-crypto last week was entirely coincident to the
slashdotted ZDNet story, I'm sure, :-), though I wouldn't be completely
surprised that ZeroKnowlege's PR folks stirred the pot there as well. I
can't wait to see if Schneier calls this a "publicity attack". (Nawwwww,
Jon Callas was there, and he'd have said something, I'm sure, so I'd say
ZKS has been offically inoculated from such a scandalous accusation...)

The above remarkable cooincidence, coupled with the "impromptu lecture"
from conference floor by Apple's entirely defeatist :-) export-lawyer,
which appeared the Guardian story this morning, means, I suppose,
mac-crypto's now officially influential, if not exactly famous...

Of course, Vinnie, and I sicced Paul on poor Ian to bring himself, or or
send someone like Nikita, after Paul saw Ian's recent Bay-Area cypherpunks
meeting talk on the same subject, and said we *had* to have a talk on their
total WEP-crack this year. Moral: use end-to-end encryption, IPSec (PGPNet,
other stuff), for instance.

Anyway, a good time was had by all, and Nikita, -- followed by the talk
that Andrew did with MojoNation running in System X after some
immediately-burned midnight oil -- completely stole the show this year.

A great time was had by all, wish you were there, see you next time, and
all that... :-).

Cheers,
RAH

--
R. A. Hettinga <mailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]>