Unfortunately these are not new attacks.  Some IETFers were talking
about these as long as 1.5 years ago.  This new paper is just a
formalization of the (previously known, or at least guessed) attacks.

About a year ago we theorized that we could guess a key by passive
eavesdropping.  However nobody wrote the code to perform the exploit.

-derek

[Having been in on the conversations on this in places like
Pittsburgh, let me note that although we knew it could be done and
more or less how to do it, none of us got off our buttocks and
finished the work and published it. They fully deserve the credit
they're getting. --Perry]

"P.J. Ponder" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> as reported on Good Morning Silicon Valley:
>
> Researchers from UC Berkeley and private security firm Zero-Knowledge
> Systems have uncovered a means of disrupting the Wired Equivalent Privacy
> (WEP) algorithm, an important part of the 802.11 corporate standard for
> wireless computer networks. While data transmitted over these networks is
> encrypted, the researchers determined that it was easy to modify 802.11
> equipment to pillage that data.
>
> http://www.isaac.cs.berkeley.edu/isaac/wep-faq.html

       [EMAIL PROTECTED]                        PGP key available