that is [...] invisible until illuminated by police
officers using ultraviolet light.

That's amazing! How do the tiny particles know that it's not a civilian illuminating them with ultraviolet light?

And how does Wired reporter Robert Andrews fail to ask that question?

Why would it matter? [...] I don't really understand the complaints here.

My complaint is against the parroting of patently absurd claims by manufacturers (or governments, for that matter) under the guide of journalism.

If you need the reason to be concrete, here's one: I might buy this magic water and apply it to some of my stuff, figuring I don't have to shell out for a second pint because Robert Andrews has assured me the thieves can't determine that it's on my Thing-1 but not my Thing-2.