On Mon, 9 Jul 2007, Florian Weimer wrote:

* Ian Farquhar:

Crypto has been an IP minefield for some years.  With the expiry of
certain patents, and the availability of other unencumbered crypto
primitives (eg. AES), we may see this change.  But John's other
points are well made, and still valid.  Downloadable MP3 ring tones
are a selling point.  E2E security isn't (although I've got to
wonder about certain teenage demographics... :)

It's also an open question whether network operators subject to
interception requirements can legally offer built-in E2E encryption
capabilities without backdoors.

Makes me wonder how this will effect the OpenMoko phone if someone builds an encryption layer for it. (OpenMoko is a totally open sourced phone.)

I am still trying to convince my wife to let me get a developers kit for it.

--
"ANSI C says access to the padding fields of a struct is undefined.
ANSI C also says that struct assignment is a memcpy. Therefore struct