Leichter, Jerry wrote:
First off, it depends on how the thing is implemented.  Since the entire
drive is apparently encrypted, and you have to enter a password just to
boot from it, some of the support is in an extended BIOS or some very
early boot code, which is "below" any OS you might actually have on the
disk.
If I had to guess, I would suggest they were using the ATA "secure" hd password api, and really providing security rather than the firmware-lock usually associated with such passwords. That would allow you to retrofit it to a lot of laptops which already use that functionality, in a plug-and-play manner.