On Wed, 2009-05-27 at 10:31 -0400, Roland Dowdeswell wrote:

> I have noticed in my years as a security practitioner, that in my
> experience non-security people seem to assume that a system is
> perfectly secure until it is demonstrated that it is not with an
> example of an exploit.  Until an exploit is generated, any discussion
> of insecurity is filed in their minds as ``academic'', ``theoretical''
> or ``not real world''.

This matches my experience as well.  "Have any exploits of this
particular scheme been found in the wild?" is always one of the
first three questions, and the answer is one of the best predictors
of whether the questioner actually does anything.  For best results
one must be able to say something like, "Yes, six times in the
last year" and start naming companies, products, dates, and
independent sources that can be used to verify the incidents.  To
really make the point one should also be able to cite financial
costs and losses incurred.

Because companies don't like talking about cracks and exploits
involving their own products, nor support third parties who attempt
systematic documentation of same, it is frequently very hard to
produce sufficient evidence to convince and deter new reinventors
of the same technology. This failure to track and document exploits
and cracks is a cultural failure that, IMO, is currently one of the
biggest nontechnical obstacles to software security.

                                        Bear