[Moderator's note: top posting considered harmful:
 http://www.mail-archive.com/cryptography@metzdowd.com/msg09287.html
       --Perry]

Just to complicate things a little... we're working with a number of groups now who are using onlineCAs that issue short-lived x509 certs derived from a primary authN mechanism like passwords or OTP.

It would be great to bake that functionality into chrome: use TLS-SRP/ PSK to authN to an onlineCA to obtain your short-lived cert in real- time.

-Frank.