On 9/28/2010 1:47 AM, Florian Weimer wrote:
   Essentially, officials want Congress to require all services that
   enable communications — including encrypted e-mail transmitters like
   BlackBerry, social networking Web sites like Facebook and software
   that allows direct “peer to peer” messaging like Skype — to be
   technically capable of complying if served with a wiretap order. The
   mandate would include being able to intercept and unscramble
   encrypted messages.
Isn't this just a clarification of existing CALEA practice?

In most jurisdictions, if a communications services provider is served
an order to make available communications, it is required by law to
provide it in the clear.  Anything else doesn't make sense, does it?
Service providers generally acknowledge this (including Research In
Motion, so I don't get why they are singled out in the article).

<SNIP>
This post from the IETF Wiretapping list [RAVEN] from October, 1999 may be relevant to the discussion.

Should Tin Cans and String comply with CALEA?
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/raven/current/msg00007.html

The question has special significance to me as proprietor of tincansandstring.net
--
Josh Rubin
jlru...@tincansandstring.net