AES, the latest-and-greatest block cipher, comes in two main forms - AES-128 and AES-256.

AES-256 is supposed to have a brute force work factor of 2^256 - but we find that in fact it actually has a very similar work factor to that of AES-128, due to bad subkey scheduling.

Thing is, that bad subkey scheduling was introduced by NIST ... after Rijndael, which won the open block cipher competition with what seems to be all-the-way good scheduling, was transformed into AES by NIST.

So, why did NIST change the subkey scheduling?

I don't know.

Inquiring minds ...

NIST have previously changed cipher specs under NSA guidance, most famously for DES, with apparently good intentions then - but with NSA and it's two-faced mission, we always have to look at capabilities, not intentions.

-- Peter Fairbrother

[and why doesn't AES-256 have 256-bit blocks???]