Hi Adam,

Yes, the two application-level requirements of secure storage and secure transmission have radically different temporal properties. Just as an example, secured storage of email using PGP or MIME actually works less well than the alternate - nothing - because it requires the user to maintain copies of old keys ... which they typically don't. An unreadable email is not a secure one, it's a fail. These systems exhibit killer pathologies that teach users never to make the mistake of using them ever again. User-less is equivalent to useless.

iang