On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 8:37 AM, Paul Christian <pho...@gmail.com> wrote:

> ... not much experiance ... or a details understanding of modern methods.
>
> I am interested in developing some technology ...

One summary of why that may be hard:
http://en.citizendium.org/wiki/Cryptography#Cryptography_is_difficult

> ie encrypted message from browser to user on another computer. Under
> circumstances that the senders life may depend on it being secure.

What sort of message? If email is enough, just use PGP.
For internet chat, look at Off-the-record messaging:
http://www.cypherpunks.ca/otr/

If file transfer is enough, look at the secure ftp component
of SSH for client/server transfers or whatever is up with
secure torrent-sharing systems for P2P.

For more general solutions that give you a whole encrypted
network, look at TOR, IPsec or Freedombox servers:
https://www.freedomboxfoundation.org/

None of those (except perhaps TOR & I am not sure
about it) give you protection against traffic analysis.
A snoop may not be able to read your messages, but
he can tell you are using encryption and who you are
using it with.

Against an oppressive government, that is a fatal
flaw. Monitoring can fairly easily pick up where
encryption is used and it can be enough for the
snoops to apply a nasty label -- "with connections
to Al Qaeda" for the US, "disturbing to social
harmony" in China, ...