On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 8:55 PM, Jacob Appelbaum <ja...@appelbaum.net> wrote:
> James A. Donald:
>>
>> Zombie computers are seldom of high value.
>
> Some malware is designed to keep people communicating, under heavy
> watch; it is not always designed to abuse a system the "traditional"
> manner befitting script kiddie botnets.
In Skype's case, it appears there is no need for the malware to coerce
communications since the service is always on
(http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1498209/000119312510182561/ds1.htm):
"The number of connected users is subject to uncertainties and in some
ways may overstate the number of users actively using our products
during a given period. For example, for a number of our users, once a
user has downloaded our software onto their device, the software will
automatically be logged in to when the device is turned on, even if
the customer takes no steps to affirmatively engage our software
client after initial registration."

Jeff