On 7/17/13 4:29 AM, Tor Erling Bjørstad wrote:
Salsa20/12 or /20. Not because there's anything wrong with
the ChaCha variant, but because Salsa20 is "good enough" and
also better established. Note e.g. that Salsa20 is what's
used in NaCl [1] (released well after ChaCha was proposed).

Thank you (to all who mentioned this).  Good information.

Regarding ESTREAM, disregard the hardware ciphers in the final
portfolio. That limits the number of algorithms to four. Of these,
I think Salsa20 is the only one that has obtained significant
adoption. However, if I were to pick another, I'd be partial
to HC-128 due to its simple (somewhat RC4-like) design and very
impressive software performance.

[1] http://nacl.cr.yp.to/stream.html

And there's HC-256, according to wikipedia.  But what about
independent analysis?  And is it really faster?

Salsa20: 4–14 cycles per byte

HC-256: 4 cycles per byte.
HC-128: 3 cycles per byte.

But HC-* has a huge per packet setup penalty!?!?