I think the programs block when reading from random, if the kernel
doesnt have enough entropy. When reading from urandom, that is not the
case. Basically the internal pool is reused to generate pseudo random
bits so that the call doesnt need to block.

As far as I know, there is no measure like 50 or so for /dev/random.