Hi Ian,

I will just respond to one of the many excellent points you’ve made.

On 2014-04-29, at 12:12 PM, ianG <i...@iang.org> wrote:

> On 29/04/2014 17:14 pm, Jeffrey Goldberg wrote:
>> People do trust their browsers and OSes to maintain a list of trustworthy
>> CAs.
>
> No they don't.  Again, you are taking the words from the sold-model.

I will explain my words below.

> People don't have a clue what a trustworthy CA is, in general.

I emphatically agree with you. I hadn’t meant to imply otherwise.

I have been using “trust” in a sort of behavioral way. For the sake of the
next few sentences, I’m going to introduce some terrible terminology. “b-trust”
is my “behavioral trust” which will defined in terms of “c-trust” (“cognitive”).

So let’s say that A c-trusts B wrt to X when A is confident that B will act in
way X. (Cut me some slack on “act”). A “b-trusts” B wrt to X when she behaves
as if she c-trusts B wrt to X.

So when I say that users trust their browsers to maintain a list of trustworthy
CAs, I am speaking of “b-trust”.  They may have no conscious idea or
understanding what they are actually trusting or why it is (or isn’t) worthy of
their trust. But they *behave* this way.

A vampire bat may b-trust that its rook mates will give it a warm meal if
necessary. Life is filled with such trust relations even where there is no
c-trust.

> (c.f., the *real meaning of trust* being a human decision to take a risk
> on available information.)

Which is what I am talking about. And I’m talking about it because it is what
matters for
human behavior. And I want a system that works for humans.

I see that you’ve written on financial cryptography. Well think about
conventional currency works. For all its problems currency works, and it is a
system that requires “trust”. But only a negligible fraction of the people who
successfully use the system do so through c-trust.

It may well be that all of the problems with TLS are because the system is
trying to work for agents who don’t understand how the system works. But, as I
said at the beginning, that is the world we are living in.

Cheers,

-j