At 09:59 AM 10/16/2001, Peter Fairbrother wrote:

>The affidavit is extremely complex and hard to unravel, whether to try to
>preserve secrecy, in the hope that it will confuse the defence/Court, or
>perhaps it's just legalese, I don't know.

I spoke to someone a couple of years ago who had tried to establish a set
of technical standards for handling host security logs so that they could
be used as legal evidence, and ran into a stone wall at the Justice
Department. Evidently they feared that defendants could manipulate any such
standards to ensure that *no* electronic evidence could ever stand up in court.

I suspect the affidavit is badly written so that it meets the minimum
standard for the court while providing as little useful information as
possible.

Rick.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]            roseville, minnesota
"Authentication" in bookstores http://www.visi.com/crypto/