I'm pleased to announce the initial release of Poindexter.

http://wirerimmed.com/poindexter

Poindexter is a Java applet that provides the basic four functions of
PGP plus:

* It runs locally and does not require an internet connection
* It (theoretically) runs on any platform with a working Java Plug-in
* It's small enough to fit on a floppy disk along with your keys
* In limited testing, it interoperates with GnuPG and PGP 8
* Available source code

Poindexter has many weaknesses but the major ones are:

* Relies on the Java Plug-in
* Requires that Java security be crippled in order to run.
* It uses the Cryptix OpenPGP [1] libraries. These libraries are not
yet fully-baked
* It doesn't run out of the box due to java policy restrictions
* Passwords and keys can probably be harvested from memory on shared
machines
* Password input is not shielded
* No Web of Trust functions

With Poindexter I'm trying to fill a need that Tinfoil Hat Linux [2]
doesn't quite cover. Namely, users who want/need portable crypto but
are not technical enough to use Tinfoil.

Please try out this software and let me know what your feelings are on
it and it's purpose.

-James

[1] http://cryptix.org/products/openpgp/
[2] http://tinfoilhat.shmoo.com/