> Android, Apple and Microsoft provide protected storage. Protected Storage
> is OS help with saving secrets. Android and Apple call it KeyChain, while
> Microsoft has called it a few names over the years, including Protected
> Storage, PStore, and DPAPI. There's also a separate MS credential store.
>
> I have some classes that provide sources, filters and sinks for the OS's
> protected storage. They were built over the years and they are copy/paste
> drop-ins when a project has platform security integration requirements. An
> example of DPAPI is shown below.
>
> My question is, should these be added to the library? Would folks use them
> if they were available?
>
> Another option is to place them on the Patch Page so they can be
> downloaded on demand. The PEM Pack is there, and I see it in the wild on
> occasion.

I've started to add it to the wiki's Patch Page. This will avoid library
clutter while ensuring folks who need it can access it. The wiki page for
the classes is located at:

* https://www.cryptopp.com/wiki/Protected_Storage_Pack

One check-in for the library was performed to help accommodate
Protected_Storage_Pack. The check-in was StringWiden function to convert a
narrow string to a wide string using C/C++'s mbstowcs functions. It
promotes "thing just work" by ensuring users *don't* have to patch the
Crypto++ library. The check-in of interest is:

*
https://github.com/weidai11/cryptopp/commit/c90a63196a148478b624e7a1e6d7a5910d57c96f

Jeff