On Sunday, June 18, 2017 at 3:35:10 PM UTC-4, Jeffrey Walton wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> We have a PR for "Use ::byte instead of byte",
> https://github.com/weidai11/cryptopp/pull/438/files.

We are getting ready to make the change to accommodate C++17 and std::byte.
Its not a problem with the library per se; rather its an issue with *user*
code that still performs 'using namespace std;'. Also see Herb Sutter's
"Migrating to Namespaces"
(http://www.drdobbs.com/cpp/migrating-to-namespaces/184404271).

We don't know what the change is at the moment. There's a few paths we can
take, and we will be looking for consensus over the next several days. A
viable option is "do nothing" and fix the user code.

There's a wiki page available that's documenting the change. Once the
change is in, it will tell users how to migrate. Also see
https://www.cryptopp.com/wiki/Std::byte on the wiki.

If you have some time, please review the wiki page, run some code under
-std=c++17, and provide some feedback. A C++17 compiler can be found in
Fedora 26, which has GCC 7.1. Debian 8.8 has GCC 7 but you have to enable
Experimental. I don't know about MS compilers.

Jeff