>Should HW3, or our final project for that matter, demonstrate results with
visuals/sound such as applets and/or GUI's. In HW3 this could "draw" the
tree for >example.

HW3 should not demonstrate any applets or GUI's.  All output should be
purely text-based.  (If you want to spent x more hourse on HW3 just to
write a nice GUI -- that's fine, but I won't give any credit for it.)

For the project I advise everyone (in my section at least) not to spend any
time/much time/too much time (choose your pick) on fancy interfaces.  When
grading the projects I will first of all see if the programs works as
intended, and then try to weigh the complexity of the data structures and
algorithms.  Of course, clear output will also carry some weight, but clear
text-based output is just as good as a GUI (as far as I'm concerned).  Last
semester someone made a really cool purely text-based, working (and as good
as unbeatable) scrabble program.  Two students in my section also had
scrabble programs and just didn't manage to pull it off (even though they
had Aced there hws) because they got stranded in the GUI's.  _Unless_ you
already have a GUI that just needs a bit of touching up, or unless you have
already written a lot of GUI's, I advise everyone to stay away from it:
it's simply too time-consuming.

Hans