Bruno Fassino wrote:
> David Laakso wrote:
>
>> Both win/opera (9.1) and mac/opera (9.22) are rendering h1 smaller
>> than intended in this rough layout:
>> <http://www.chelseacreekstudio.com/ca/cssd/experimental.html> Why
>> be that?
>>

> The problem seems caused by the inability of Opera 9 to manage font-size
> expressed in percentage greater than about 500%. You have found a good fix
> that avoids such percentages, another one would be to use em, so instead of
> font-size: 685% write font-size: 68.5em.
>
> At least this is what I see in a simplified test case:
> Compare this page in Opera and Firefox:
>   http://www.brunildo.org/test/bigpercfont2.pl?pc0=100&pc1=1000&step=50
> A sequence of 'I' of increasing sizes, first from 100% to 1000%, and then
> from 1em to 10em, are displayed.
> This first sequence in Opera 9 stops increasing at about 500%.
>
> You still have a  font-size: 550% on the h3, which are indeed slightly
> smaller in Opera then in Firefox.
>
> Best regards,
> Bruno
>

> --
> Bruno Fassino http://www.brunildo.org/test

Ah, so that's what this is all about!

Thank you for the test page.

The method you suggest of using em when over 500% for Opera9 is much
simpler solution for this page and works fine (I believe we meant
converting 685% to 6.85em, rather than 68.5em).

I deleted the percent setting on #header and and h1 and re-set and
tweaked h1 to:
font : bold 6.9em/0.8 arial, helvetica, sans-serif;
This seems to be working well in both win & mac opera (and the "evil" one).
h3 is more consistent in opera as compared to ff in setting it from 555%
to 5.6em.

The revised page uri is:
<http://www.chelseacreekstudio.com/ca/cssd/experimental01.html>

Thanks.